Speed Wrecking

dadio

8 hours ago, daltontrees said:

Yes I got that. At one oint though he say it's all about getting stuff down as safely as possible, as quickly as possible. But you can't have both. Fair enough he admits to a few mistakes because he's rushing.

It's interesting to see how others work. I have my own set of tricks, like I chase cuts through then flip the butt away from the stem with the end of the bar just as it detaches, I deliberately tear branches off to get them to land butt-out, and I have got a 2-sink cut that I use which is along the lines of the multi-undercut trick in the video, you can get phenomenal swings with it. I do that cheat undercut too, but usually when darting things off, it works great but I usually end up planting the dart. I did one once that speared the ground so hard the groundy then had to fell the branch using a sink and backcut.

It's never about speed, though. I'm sure we've all done some pretty fast wrecking at the end of a day so as to get offsite for good that day, but speed day after day is an accident waiting to happen, and not having to wait long. And never the luxury of a big flat lawn below that is going to get dug up afterwards anyway. If only...

This - in spades!

no it's not about speed, as much as not wasting time. That may sound like the same thing, but it's an important distinction.  And of course you can have safety and speed, IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING.

I put most of the side of the tree over the driveway on the ground after the battery died, then jumped in the skid steer and stuffed it all through the chipper without one saw cut on the ground. The only other man on the job pretty much stood by the chipper and waited to work the lift cylinder or pick up a few sticks. If you look carefully you can see him chek his phone between runs. The skid steer made it easy for him. Two of us took about 45 minutes to chip the whole mess.

The reactions to these videos never cease to demonstrate just how much people admire their little boxes.

Edited by dadio
  • Like 1