Laylandi topping.

Paul Tomo

6 hours ago, tree-fancier123 said:

I would only be about £140 for that, nothing taken  away. The dedicated tree firms with mobile platforms a lot more. Personally I would try to jam a ladder in there and top them from a rope and harness,  perhaps tripod ladder and hedgecutter on a ht131 polesaw for the sides. Jameson poles and pulley pruner in the tree to get the frondy bits far from trunk.

Your talk about having the luxury of a MEWP, picker then tying in as well sounds dodgy,  you shouldn't need to.

You can learn tree cutting from a rope and harness from books e.g 'Tree Climbers Companion' and there are books on tree work from MEWPS(platforms) too e.g, https://www.trees.org.uk/Book-Shop/Products/A-Guide-to-the-use-of-MEWPs-in-Arboriculture

It is worth paying for training and certificates in aerial tree cutting if you think it's work you would like to tackle confidently.

I did those size trees before having any tickets, but you can still break your neck falling fifteen feet. If you have to ask how much to charge for that, say to the farmer 'I haven't got a clue, but am willing to tackle it for free to get the experience.'

Thanks for your reply it’s much appreciated. I’ve quoted him £150 and I think the first tree I’ll do from ladders and harness like you say and that will keep me on the safe side, the second I’ll do from the picker.

just thought I’d ask about the price because I’ve been thinking I’m a little to high. I’m doing two courses in November to top up my certification. I’m just getting back into the trees after trying something else out, I’m glad I’m going on the two courses in November as this will steer me in the right direction.

many thanks

I’ve been back to the farm today and topped the two trees. The farmer was out delivering a horse which left me to get on with the trees on my own, best option was to climb and tie myself off and use the silky hand saw, the safest option I thought. 

Just thought I’d show a pic or two of the two trees now they are finished.

C83D914B-4526-4C63-A801-CA96A86DF3EE.jpeg

5F86FFD8-31E0-4EB1-8505-AE7C36634ED9.jpeg

Edited by Paul Tomo

28 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I’d have shortened the ‘ears’ get a flatter top.

I like your constructive criticism, instead of just ripping the piss out of him as above. Gotta be cruel to be kind, hmmm

On the subject of style those things can look nice shaped maybe twice yearly with hedge trimmer, turns them into e.g a giant egg, nothing like the habit of an open grown tree, but a bit of neat and high greenery

Edited by tree-fancier123

After taking the pics yesterday after finishing the trees I came back to the farm in the afternoon to see if the farmer was ok with what I’d done, I did have a feeling that he would want another couple of feet taking off one of the trees. 

I was right about the extra couple of feet that needed to be taken off, in fact a total of four foot came off the final cut. He was very happy with both trees and now more work from the farmer is on its way. 

This last pic is of the tree that needed the four foot taking off, thanks for your reply’s to my post.

Paul Tomo (Notts & Lincs)

FD684DEC-1CFA-4FBB-A0E2-5115878FBC26.jpeg