Laylandi topping.

Paul Tomo

18 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Shortening the ascending lateral limbs would take a couple of extra minutes. 

30 minutes, maybe an hour max? Regardless, he then has to deal with the arisings, add more time and effort onto that. 

20 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Leaving them as he has will allow them to romp away and become more prone to damage by snow and wind.

The farmers happy. He got what he asked for and for pennies. If and when they romp away he'll maybe be called back to deal with them should that arise. Win/win Id say. 

21 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

Also, the tree will be a bugger to reduce again in the future because there's no central point in it - they'll just be loads of skinning poles around the hollow centre.

Meh, it was a quick hundred and fifty quid job. Maybe this would be worth discussion on a job that was £500+, but it was not. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

30 minutes, maybe an hour max? Regardless, he then has to deal with the arisings, add more time and effort onto that. 

Might be wrong but I thought that it had been said that the job was to just cut and leave, no chipping/stacking?

The farmers happy. He got what he asked for and for pennies. If and when they romp away he'll maybe be called back to deal with them should that arise. Win/win Id say. Sorry mate, but your lack of knowledge and or inexperience is coming through. No climber 'enjoys' connie bashing, whether a hedge or a single tree) where he sides have been left to grow unrestricted. Just nasty stuff to deal with. Much nicer to try to educate the owner so that if you come back it's an easier job to deal with. It's crap coming back to a tree that's been badly done by someone with a bodge it and scarper attitude.

Meh, it was a quick hundred and fifty quid job. Maybe this would be worth discussion on a job that was £500+, but it was not. The opening poster did ask for comments about what he should charge! Maybe the error was that everyone thought he was knowledgeable enough to be quoting to do the job correctly, how most arbs would reduce a single cypress, leaving it to grow on in a condition where it's future management wouldn't be a pain in the arse for the next poor bugger. Anyway, it would be a few minutes of extra work, whizz around with a silky/climbing saw, before bringing the central TIP down to suit. 

Apologies to the OP, but you need to be educating the owner as to the best way to reduce the thing, you're the tree expert in the conversation, fight you (our) corner and price to do the job how it needs to be done. Be proud that you've done it right and left it in the best form for the next climber and for any future management.

Edited by Gary Prentice
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trigger_andy said:

Nah, it was a £150 farmer job that the farmer is happy with. If he did all the extras you suggest it would be a 500 quid job he’d have not got nor the future work. 

I'm really not sure where you're getting your timings from. Nipping back the ascending limbs to flatten the top out is a few minutes work, believe me, I've done hundreds (probably thousands of them). 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gary Prentice said:

I'm really not sure where you're getting your timings from. Nipping back the ascending limbs to flatten the top out is a few minutes work, believe me, I've done hundreds (probably thousands of them). 

Nor I yours. Everything you're suggesting he does in 3-5 minutes? Ok.....