Laylandi topping.

Paul Tomo

I’ve been asked by a farmer local to me if I could give him a price for topping 6ft of two Laylandi trees, one of the trees has more than one stem to cut and will need trimming around the top to level the top off.  

Maybe 25 to 30ft tall and I will be raised up both trees in something like a cherrypicker, the bigger tree of the two I will tie myself off just in case, the other tree I’ll be staying in the picker.

ive added some pics to show you what the trees are like, I’m a little unsure of what price to charge him, I’ve not got to removed the cutting from site all I need to do is top the trees, any ideas on what price this job would be charged.

736F7D62-1439-4981-B2ED-589287F011CB.jpeg

9AF6F11B-AE8D-44F5-B26F-F532A0303F55.jpeg

C7A8A760-5155-4C43-8DF9-B779334396E7.jpeg

7F9080ED-93EF-45CE-BFB6-C676C1EF835F.jpeg

I would only be about £140 for that, nothing taken  away. The dedicated tree firms with mobile platforms a lot more. Personally I would try to jam a ladder in there and top them from a rope and harness,  perhaps tripod ladder and hedgecutter on a ht131 polesaw for the sides. Jameson poles and pulley pruner in the tree to get the frondy bits far from trunk.

Your talk about having the luxury of a MEWP, picker then tying in as well sounds dodgy,  you shouldn't need to.

You can learn tree cutting from a rope and harness from books e.g 'Tree Climbers Companion' and there are books on tree work from MEWPS(platforms) too e.g, https://www.trees.org.uk/Book-Shop/Products/A-Guide-to-the-use-of-MEWPs-in-Arboriculture

It is worth paying for training and certificates in aerial tree cutting if you think it's work you would like to tackle confidently.

I did those size trees before having any tickets, but you can still break your neck falling fifteen feet. If you have to ask how much to charge for that, say to the farmer 'I haven't got a clue, but am willing to tackle it for free to get the experience.'

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You’ll be in a 20 year old spud crate strapped to a 40 year Telehandler driven by a 60 year old farmer. 

Look up his SFP subsidy at farm subsidy.org and then slap £2k on top. 

So long as you spend your money locally you’ll be compliant with SFP rationale. 

Most Excellent Anal-ysis good Sur!

Now go fuck yersel!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

You’ll be in a 20 year old spud crate strapped to a 40 year Telehandler driven by a 60 year old farmer. 

Look up his SFP subsidy at farm subsidy.org and then slap £2k on top. 

So long as you spend your money locally you’ll be compliant with SFP rationale. 

He’s a 75 year old farmer and maybe the spud crate is as old has he is.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

It's either a cherry picker or it's not.
300 using my own mewp and the farmer remains locked in the house until I'm back on the ground.

300 quid from a farmer for that, id say not.....:)

Edited by carlos