Background to the HSE decision on two rope working

kevinjohnsonmbe

42 minutes ago, Tony Croft aka hamadryad said:

Funny really because here there was no arboriculture, so i ended up kicking it all off, its been interesting because its like being in england 30 years ago. Theres only a handfull of arbs here now,

Wot no huge training industry making good money while passing poor ill equipped climbers and cutters into the industry! 

Just working people looking after themselves. Then passing on their hard earned skills and knowledge to youngsters that had passed the entrance test of a few years graft at the shitty end ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Svts said:

Wot no huge training industry making good money while passing poor ill equipped climbers and cutters into the industry! 

Just working people looking after themselves. Then passing on their hard earned skills and knowledge to youngsters that had passed the entrance test of a few years graft at the shitty end ?

yep, thats essentialy what were doing here and it will stay that way till I say so!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony Croft aka hamadryad said:

So what Your saying or being vague about saying is that in the not too distant future it will be law that a climber must use two climbing ropes. I'm glad my career is nearly over! now HSE is indeed going over and beyond sanity. 

Hi Tony, nice to hear.

Things have moved on a little since this early post but essentially “yes” at least as the default position, 2 ropes/lines n 2 points of Anchorage (already many are trialing this and establishing both the pros and the cons.)

Regards

Paul

3 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Tony, nice to hear.

Things have moved on a little since this early post but essentially “yes” at least as the default position, 2 ropes/lines n 2 points of Anchorage (already many are trialing this and establishing both the pros and the cons.)

Regards

Paul

this will never end! soon we will be banned from climbing like germany did a while back! 

9 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Hi Tony, nice to hear.

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul, although the reality is those writing the documents even think this is a bad idea, but I’d the AA will roll over on this and not provide the support of its member the general working arborist what else can we do.

My head hurts from hitting it against the wall, unless the icop can be written in a fair and just way for the working arborist then how am I as a manager going to enforce it amongst the team?

It all feels rushed with little input from those who have the appropriate technical experience. I look forwards the the TG but the ICOP being as flawed as it is written by those who are having their arms bent behind their backs what are we to do honestly other than bent our frustration here?

• Like 1

It's become apparent that the AA are either uninterested, or considered insignificant by HSE.

They could have helped steer this in amore manageable direction for us, instead of nodding after a couple of climbers demonstrate a limb walk with two main lines and saying "we tried our best..."

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Marc said:

Hi Paul, although the reality is those writing the documents even think this is a bad idea, but I’d the AA will roll over on this and not provide the support of its member the general working arborist what else can we do.

My head hurts from hitting it against the wall, unless the icop can be written in a fair and just way for the working arborist then how am I as a manager going to enforce it amongst the team?

It all feels rushed with little input from those who have the appropriate technical experience. I look forwards the the TG but the ICOP being as flawed as it is written by those who are having their arms bent behind their backs what are we to do honestly other than bent our frustration here?

Hi Marc, please be sure to complete the survey associated with the revised ICoP and ‘vent’ your views, and frustrations, there.

Regards

paul