Background to the HSE decision on two rope working

kevinjohnsonmbe

Paul, @AA Teccie (Paul)

Can this article be translated into a couple of sentences for simple folk rather than pages of script which left me no clearer on what / when a change might be imposed?  

Is it saying that HSE require climbing arbs to use 2 separate ropes rather than the 2 ends of the same rope (for those that still dwell in the 19th century?) 

If so, when is this likely to be implemented?  Are we non-compliant now?  Is the training non-compliant?  

I have to admit, after reading it, I wasn't really any clearer on whether a change is imminent now, in the near future or maybe not at all.

Love & peace,

Confused of Cornwall..

WWW.TREES.ORG.UK

A range of tree related help and advice for members of the public as well as tree surgeons.

• Like 1

Apologies all, there's much background tbh and my colleague Simon, who wrote the article, tried to cover all bases.

In a nutshell the HSE would expect to see 2x independent lines, and independent anchors, such that one system can act as a robust backup in the event of the other being damaged or becoming detached and the climber falling. 

In terms of timescales this is not gonna happen overnight and, in all honesty, nothing is likely to 'start to' change until the industry code of practice (ICoP) is amended and 'Technical Guide 1 - Tree Ascent and Descent' is released. As you rightly mention training, and assessment, will have to change to and existing operators will have to change their MO to comply with the law (effectively.) In his article Simon likened this to the industry's equivalent to seat belts being intro'd. so gonna be years rather than months.

Does this help clarify things...a little?

Thanks for asking Kevin and I hope you;re well

Paul

2 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Apologies all, there's much background tbh and my colleague Simon, who wrote the article, tried to cover all bases.

In a nutshell the HSE would expect to see 2x independent lines, and independent anchors, such that one system can act as a robust backup in the event of the other being damaged or becoming detached and the climber falling. 

In terms of timescales this is not gonna happen overnight and, in all honesty, nothing is likely to 'start to' change until the industry code of practice (ICoP) is amended and 'Technical Guide 1 - Tree Ascent and Descent' is released. As you rightly mention training, and assessment, will have to change to and existing operators will have to change their MO to comply with the law (effectively.) In his article Simon likened this to the industry's equivalent to seat belts being intro'd. so gonna be years rather than months.

Does this help clarify things...a little?

Thanks for asking Kevin and I hope you;re well

Paul

Oh dear............

And this IMHO, is why the AA will never have any real relevance within the industry. (walks away shaking head)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for Sunday reply Paul!  Didn't expect such a speedy pick up ??

The point I couldn't untangle was - Does ‘two separate and independently anchored lines’ actually translate to 2 separate and independent ropes or (as we are familiar) both ends of the same rope used to achieve 2 anchor points.  

It reads like 2 separate ropes and that gave the obvious rise to the question, if it is 2 separate ropes, have we all been non-compliant since 'the legal requirement goes back to 2003.'

I'm just thinking about the present (for the present), if it becomes 3 later - so be it.