Highways 171 license

john p

21 minutes ago, Toad said:

That would be what I would have asked for. 2 way lights in all red is a great alternative to a closure for a short period of time. 

On one site we had 2 weeks cover,one lane closed alternating lights, 2 reds whilst felling.

Without looking into it I suspect it is a FISA recommendation as I looked at a private estate job recently and it was needed for a few roadside trees.

Certainly as far as forestry goes, if its a recommendation the shit would hit the fan in the event of something going wrong.

We use these almost daily. no 171 “open notice” can lead to a lot of problems they then start asking for streetworks ! supervisor and operative and you can’t be both. The fines keep the local authority in business. From talking to my local area supervisor in Essex they see tree works as a revenue stream to be exploited. just having to park your truck in the road requires notice and compliant signing and guarding if not another fine. All the utility companies are conversant with them. Some opt to pay the fine if they get caught and hope they don’t.

• Like 1

We use these almost daily. no 171 “open notice” can lead to a lot of problems they then start asking for streetworks ! supervisor and operative and you can’t be both. The fines keep the local authority in business. From talking to my local area supervisor in Essex they see tree works as a revenue stream to be exploited. just having to park your truck in the road requires notice and compliant signing and guarding if not another fine. All the utility companies are conversant with them. Some opt to pay the fine if they get caught and hope they don’t.

What sort of fines are we talking? I’m assuming setting up on an A road with two cones and a back to front arrow will incur a greater penalty than having a tracked chipper on a country lane? I’ve got my Street works ticket but the sheer amount of work coming up roadside fills me with dread if I’ve got to get a license for each one