small gravity fed chippers yay or nay?

Dilz

22 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

I always thought the CS100 could be fitted with a 23hp Vanguard.

I see GM are offering a downgraded version now with a wee engine fitted.

What it also needs is upgrading, more power, self propelled, swivel chute, cup holder...

I started out with a wee chipper and whilst I'm glad I moved up we still have one in the team for those narrow access jobs and as an insurance against the big chippers inevitable downtime.

I've mates here in France who like me started with a CS100 and have now moved up to a 6". To get there they fought leylandii windbreaks, giant cedars and spent hours feeding their machines. Not one would happily return to the wee chipper but it was a stepping stone for small businesses.

Stuart

Perhaps, or perhaps it’s just a wasted year or two using something that’s just delaying you getting the right  machine.

Could be viewed that way.

However, startups often find it difficult to raise finance. 

Certainly here in France new and used chippers carry a premium price over the same models sold in U.K.

Credit Mutual de Bretagne refused me credit until I could show 2 years accounts.

Being a micro business free of the burden of accounting that wasn't going to happen.

I don't regret my route though I do agree with Mick that if you have the funds, go straight to a 5"/6" roadtow.

Stuart

We used to use a CS100 and it was an amazing piece of kit, the design of the drum pulls the timber in really well. Sadly the blades did not last long before needing turning and resharpening. New blades are a bit pricey and we ended up getting rid of it. Don't get me wrong, it was so handy to get into the back gardens with narrow access and was ideal for those small jobs. We definitely prefer the 6inch road tows with roller feed and anti-stress.

I bought a CS100 after doing a handful of jobs stuffing brash into the back of the van, never again!
CS100 ebay buy £2400 mint condition fresh belts n service, private owner who wasn’t using it enough so traded it in and the company put it up too cheap haha..
Pair of ramps and a £100 Rhino winch and i can load it onto my Hilux pickup on my own. One truck and leaves enough space for logs ( only doing smaller jobs as part time currently)
idea is rent/buy a 3.5t trailer for bigger jobs and put the chipper in the pickup and chip/logs in the trailer. smaller jobs i’m making a simple trailer for the chipper (A frame basically that it bolts onto)
very impressed with the CS100 so far, ate wet conifer well and even old dry holly.

• Like 1