small gravity fed chippers yay or nay?

Dilz

59 minutes ago, Con said:

I bought one thinking it would be useful occasionally. Wasn't getting used at all. Sold it, less than a year after buying it. Even on the jobs where the chip was staying, I found it easier to drag out,  chip, and barrow back in

either you don't know how to use it or you chose the wrong machine 

Edited by Cheesy pete
i'm a muppet
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cheesy pete said:

either you don't know how to use it or you chose the wrong machine 

Well, I think I was putting the branches in the right end. It was the loading it on a trailer, taking 2 vehicles to the job, extra time and expense that wasn't worth it

13 hours ago, Con said:

Well, I think I was putting the branches in the right end. It was the loading it on a trailer, taking 2 vehicles to the job, extra time and expense that wasn't worth it

I don't know why you would need 2 vehicles or it taking extra time as you dont need to drag the brash out  and i assume you mean the expense of the chipper ?   maybe it was your set up that didn't suit the wee chipper rather than the other way round. 

1 hour ago, Cheesy pete said:

I don't know why you would need 2 vehicles or it taking extra time as you dont need to drag the brash out  and i assume you mean the expense of the chipper ?   maybe it was your set up that didn't suit the wee chipper rather than the other way round. 

I hope I haven't upset the wee chipper club here ? I was actually very impressed with the chipper, a Jansen.

What I found was, on the days when I would use  it, I would still take the big chipper for the other jobs that day. Yes. It just didn't suit

Edited by Con
Spelling

The best I have used is the Greenmech CS100, not used a jobeau.

It is very well engineered but with that comes weight and I have struggled with access but used a Tirfor and ramps before.

I live in the coast, there are lots of houses with shared, little or no access so have hired one in for some jobs. Useful also on long drags where you can persuade the customer to keep the chip in a pile, compost heap or spread on the flower beds, lots of customers are happy to keep the chip, they just don’t want a transit tipper full on their drive when they come home and have to spend the weekend wheelbarrowing it round the back.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gray git said:
7 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

I think these lads have modified this machine with a larger engine. Seems impressive.

That is chipping faster than a lot of bigger roller fed machines, must have a twin pot fitted to work like that.

To my knowledge it had a loncin single cylinder 15hp and he swapped it for a twin 24 hp and moved the fuel tank up top. 

A great tool for back garden work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conor Wright said:

To my knowledge it had a loncin single cylinder 15hp and he swapped it for a twin 24 hp and moved the fuel tank up top. 

A great tool for back garden work.

yeap thats an ace example of what they can do mine chips as fast as that but not on the 4 inch stuff 3inch and smaller it just as fast 

I always thought the CS100 could be fitted with a 23hp Vanguard.

I see GM are offering a downgraded version now with a wee engine fitted.

What it also needs is upgrading, more power, self propelled, swivel chute, cup holder...

I started out with a wee chipper and whilst I'm glad I moved up we still have one in the team for those narrow access jobs and as an insurance against the big chippers inevitable downtime.

I've mates here in France who like me started with a CS100 and have now moved up to a 6". To get there they fought leylandii windbreaks, giant cedars and spent hours feeding their machines. Not one would happily return to the wee chipper but it was a stepping stone for small businesses.

Stuart

• Like 1