Which month do you start using your stove again?

I have a couple of super old, pearce and use type, camping gas cans and blow torch that I cleared from dad's garage (he passed away last October).  I don't feel too bad about using those up rather then binning them.  How do you do it? Torch straight on a couple of splits?  Any kindling or paper?

Edited by neiln

Split and cut to length Conifer, i.e. cut and split for firewood, not kindling.

Simply randomly  select the splinterest/smallest/most misshapen bits from the pile, when bring in a box of firing.

A handful of scrunched up newspaper/junk mail/plastic not for recycling.

Apply match.

Job Done.

Edited by difflock

I generally don't need to chop kindling as I get most of mine by not throwing away the larger prunings from the garden, mostly from my laurel hedges, and collecting the little odds and sods from chopping.  Probably not time efficient but prefer not to waste it.  This year though might be an exception but we will see...

Two logs in the bottom, confidential waste paper in the middle and sticks on top.  Occasionally I resort to a firelighter but only rarely; they are very effective though.  Now use a little gas lighter to start it though as I found matches to be pretty hit an miss.

I do the same, collect splitting splinters and the bigger bit of garden bush prunings but I need a lot more.  2 x 5kw stoves getting lit daily once cold enough, plus I supply mum for her stove lit most evenings.  I don't detest the job as much as i used to...a nice 2 foot high birch stump as a block so not much bending down, except for picking up the bits, and a nicr hatchet.  A guy in canada (another forum friend) sent me an unmarked but likely scandinavian head at about 750g which was totally out of the blue and awesome i hung it on a 19" smedberg handle.  its heavier than the little roughneck i used before and longer handled both make it easier. plus it's history makes me smile.

stove lit for the first time tonight....i'm sweating bullets - 23C.  Wife is smiling and says its toastie.

I tried the blowtorch to light it, it worked but needed about a 2min blast.  I put 2 bits of kindling in, 3 medium splits across the top of those and blasted the gs torch under the splits.  A bit of a faff tbh.  a stack of kindling and newspaper seems easier.  Still, I'll use the old canisters up and save a little kindling

• 4 weeks later...