New saw for Domestic Firewood

Commando

At risk of going to the other end of the scale, if it is just for domestic stuff, what about one of these - less than a hundred sheets and if it sh*ts itself in the first three years, back to Aldi for the money back. If it survives the three years, that sounds like cheap logging to me. I had a similar previous 16” Aldi special and did plenty of logging with it...

WWW.ALDI.CO.UK

Keep your garden in top shape this summer. Buy yourself a new Scheppach petrol chainsaw and make quick work of cutting, pruning and felling. Shop online

I've used a Spear & Jackson badged saw (42CC I believe, a Chinese cheapy of some sort, cost me £70 or so, not even brand new!) for the past 12 or more years. It's for personal use only, but it must have cut 70 odd cube of timber in that time, maybe more, with hardly a problem. The warm start was a bit fiddly for a while, but it seemed to cure itself! Never even had to replace a spark plug.

Touch wood! Hope I've not jinxed it now. But for the money, it's been ace.

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

I've used a Spear & Jackson badged saw (42CC I believe, a Chinese cheapy of some sort, cost me £70 or so, not even brand new!) for the past 12 or more years. It's for personal use only, but it must have cut 70 odd cube of timber in that time, maybe more, with hardly a problem. The warm start was a bit fiddly for a while, but it seemed to cure itself! Never even had to replace a spark plug.

Touch wood! Hope I've not jinxed it now. But for the money, it's been ace.

Outlasted most Stihls I have had my hands on ! K

Got my Aldi saw delivered today. Oregon bar and chain, file, mixing bottle and tools included. More metal on it than I was expecting (oil tank and dogs metal for example, dogs also removable (so could be replaced I guess). Fuel and oil in, bar on, primed the carb with the fuel pump - it fired on the second pull and started on the half choke next pull after that. Brake works, it ran up to full revs smoothly - unfortunately I’ve got no big stuff to cut at home but will test it on some ash crowns over the next few weeks - they are the tops of stems at about 14” diameter so will give it a reasonable run out. Up to now, looks alright though.