New saw for Domestic Firewood

Commando

Yes it's a beast but it's heavy.  I bought a (lightly) used one from bill Pearce on here, brilliant saw.  Pulls a 20" bar in hardwoods very well.  I've heard and believe it will pull up to 28" fine.  I have a ms180 too which I use on all the stuff up to about 12" as it's so light.  If the 180 died I'd probably make do with just the 365 but wouldn't like it.  If I was starting fresh and found for a one saw plan I'd look for a 50cc saw and a 16-18" bar.

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Don't be stupid ! Thats like saying Wales will win the Rugby World Cup ! ?

Lets get him an 84 iinch bar and he can have 2 of my big boy oaks to cut. And wait and see on the rugger,Am off out with 2 of my lads on the beer now and dylans dad is the new welsh fitness/ defence coach byran hayward , Great family and great friends 

Edited by topchippyles

1 hour ago, topchippyles said:

The guy is only doing a bit of fire wood for him self and you guys are telling him to buy a saw that a full time cutter would use. Go the full hog and get him an 880 stihl 60 inch bar.

yes well, I only cut firewood for myself too.  I could still get by with the ms180 but f*** me, its a lot less painful to deal with big stuff with a big saw!  I do think the 365 is overkill though, but if you are consistently dealing with stuff over 12" or so and hardwood then I'd say get a 50cc saw.

I have a MS181 which does me well enough, 16" blade. Anything too big I can turn the log arnd and cut from a differnt angle - I don't think anything has defeated it yet. I guess the limiting factor for me isn't the saw, its what I can phsically lift into the boot of the car to take home. As above the local dealer has all the consumables for he saw

MS181 is a poor saw as its very slow to cut & has poor power to weight ratio. The makita ea4300 its loads better value for money especially at the current bargin price.

It  is like the makita version of an  MS241

I have used both ms181 & ea4300 huge difference between them.

If you want a quality dinky light weight saw get an echo  (But more ££££)

Corded electric saws from either husky stihl & makita (theese 3 make quality corded electric saws) are also good for firewood near the house  & cut alot faster than a MS181.

• Like 1