My best mate keeled over today

eggsarascal

s

54 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

The funeral is next Friday, I've been asked to do a speech, I'm fucking bricking it, I can talk the hind legs off a donkey in a pub, and I've more front than Blackpool, but in front of a church full of people!...

Speak from the heart eggs and you will be fine 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

The funeral is next Friday, I've been asked to do a speech, I'm fucking bricking it, I can talk the hind legs off a donkey in a pub, and I've more front than Blackpool, but in front of a church full of people!...

Just don't do any " Effing and Jeffing "  Eggs mate and you'll be fine . 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Have a couple of beers to calm the nerves before the speech, but don't get pissed. It doesn't have to be a long speech if you cant manage it, just see how I goes.

• Thanks 1

Hey there, I've done 4, - 2 eulogies and 2 poetry readings, all within the last 12 months. Prior to these I would never put myself forward and would be shaking just at the thought of it. The first was my favourite auntie, who I really wanted to do something final and special for. Wrote out all my own stuff. Practised repeatedly til it sounded right then clearly put in all breaks, pauses and full stops. Reprinted it in large clear print, and practised again til I knew it.
On the day , took my time getting up from chair and walking to the lectern. Looked at each person in the room, avoiding dwelling on anyone who looked like they were about to break down, and started reading.
Job done. Went to sit down knowing I'd missed out a complete page of my script, but hey, challenge over and passed. It gets easier each time.

• Like 3

Definitely don’t do it after a few beers. I understand the nerves thing, but it could come across disrespectful and it’s the kind of thing people remember for a long time.
It doesn’t have to be a polished performance.
Some kind words, an anecdote or a special memory shared of the deceased. The object of the eulogy is to help everyone present gather their thoughts collectively and to honour his memory.
Ask two questions of the speech.
1. How would your mate like everyone to remember him?
2. What do you want people to walk away with?
You’ll be fine Eggs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Thank you for the reassuring words. @Stubby I'll try my best not to throw the wrong words in, unfortunately it's how I speak. @Craig Johnson, I've already over thought it, I've worried about it since I was asked last week. Brave Egg's bottles gone.

If you speak with this type of sincerity Eggs, you will be fine.

Marcus

• Like 1