Big J on radio 4..

benedmonds

4 minutes ago, doobin said:

Although I presume these are ag yards, so technically unlawful to run a commercial enterprise from?

Not knocking you, I do the same. You'll never make any money in this day and age if you play 100% by the rules.

Would you technically have to apply for a change of use ? 

7 hours ago, Big J said:

You're missing the point though. The nonsense that is the market rate in the UK is driven by the ever increasing 'value' of property. People are only having to spend more on rent as they are priced out of purchasing these properties. I can afford premises at market rate, but refuse to pay it as it doesn't represent value for money. All it does is concentrate yet more wealth in the hands of a few, very rich individuals. Much more provision needs to be made for small and medium sized businesses to own their own premises instead of having to resort to renting for wealthy property magnates. 

I would have no problem whatsoever with a broad increase in the building of industrial and business units in the UK. We have a proud history of manufacturing which is now firmly in the past. In order to compete in a post Brexit, post Trump (trade wars) world, a little self reliance would not go amiss, as well as a broadened economy not so dependent on the service sector. 

Now I’m baffled. It’s you that is missing the point. 

So you can afford what you want at market rates, and you said there was a place within 20 miles of you. You have a successful business and yet, what you covet most highly, a property that is best for you, your family, and your future, you don’t go and get?

What has been the point in being in business for so long then? You want to be the richest person in the graveyard? 

All because you don’t want to pay market rate to someone you think has too much money already. Madness. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Big J said:

You're missing the point though. The nonsense that is the market rate in the UK is driven by the ever increasing 'value' of property.

As demand increases (through humans breeding more than anything else) the price of property will increase, as there is a finite amount of it (basic rules of supply/demand). 

Whether it is a house, a building plot, or an acre of land that grows barley particularly well - it is going to get more expensive over time if population continues to grow. Artificially deflating the values to help a current generation get what they want ‘NOW’ will change nothing long term, but may damage the availability of land capable of sustaining life in the future. 

19 minutes ago, Chalgravesteve said:

Now I’m baffled. It’s you that is missing the point. 

So you can afford what you want at market rates, and you said there was a place within 20 miles of you. You have a successful business and yet, what you covet most highly, a property that is best for you, your family, and your future, you don’t go and get?

What has been the point in being in business for so long then? You want to be the richest person in the graveyard? 

All because you don’t want to pay market rate to someone you think has too much money already. Madness. 

Not at all. If we were to buy an existing house, not only would we have to settle for something that is likely to be of shoddy construction, but I'd be paying literally double the actual construction/complete project price. The only distinction is that someone in the planning office has decided to grant permission for a dwelling to be built, and as a result of this decision, the value suddenly increases by hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Given that the rules regarding planning consent are inconsistent, unfit for purpose, discriminatory and arduous, there is huge scope for reform.

An interesting point aside, but the Class Q exemption that allows a barn to be converted to a house I would wager has been exploited tens of thousands of times nationally. I wonder how many of those houses could be considered affordable? My point is that it's the most significant shift in rural planning in the last decade and it exclusively benefits those with much higher than average wealth. 

25 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

As demand increases (through humans breeding more than anything else) the price of property will increase, as there is a finite amount of it (basic rules of supply/demand). 

Whether it is a house, a building plot, or an acre of land that grows barley particularly well - it is going to get more expensive over time if population continues to grow. Artificially deflating the values to help a current generation get what they want ‘NOW’ will change nothing long term, but may damage the availability of land capable of sustaining life in the future. 

But the increase in the perceived value of land is only serving to accentuate the wealth gap and inequality in the UK. Small holdings are a long standing tradition, and economically viable when correctly managed. For instance, if I planted 10 acres of hybrid poplar, I could realise an annual return of around £9k from thinning operations every 3 years. That is more profitable than many farms operating on the same area. There is also ample potential for income diversification, in terms of forest schools/nurseries, camp sites, glamping etc. 

35 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Artificially deflating the values to help a current generation get what they want ‘NOW’ will change nothing long term, but may damage the availability of land capable of sustaining life in the future. 

Building land is artificially inflated at the moment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Building land is artificially inflated at the moment.

But it’s not is it? The land cost £x build the new house and it gets sold. So it’s market value? 

If its artificially inflated no one would buy the end product because it would be above market value. 

Edited by Chalgravesteve
  • Like 1