Big J on radio 4..

benedmonds

Nobody is saying J shouldnt be allowed to live well or work to better himself. However he seems to have an issue with the value of property/ land in Devon and theres not alot you can do about that. Calling people a cunt for voicing that opinion to me shows a lack of intellect and abilty to debate sensibly. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ESS said:

It used to be up to a certain square footage without full planning, not sure if that's changed.

However I doubt many farmers put buildings up just because they can, more because theres a need, like sheep housing, grain storage etc.

Permitted development rights for ag used to be 4800sq ft per two year period, not sure if that’s accurate today. It still goes to the council to make sure it’s not within 400m of a dwelling other than the farmhouse, you have say where drains discharge, etc and that is total development so might be a shed half that size then the associated hard standing around or access to.

I've put little sheds and hard standing in that way in the past. Sometimes it goes through and is quicker as basically they have to object or ask any questions within 28 days other times I’ve had to go full planning ap..more time, money and expense for same result in the end but at least everyone gets a say in it.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Permitted development rights for ag used to be 4800sq ft per two year period, not sure if that’s accurate today. It still goes to the council to make sure it’s not within 400m of a dwelling other than the farmhouse, you have say where drains discharge, etc and that is total development so might be a shed half that size then the associated hard standing around or access to.

I've put little sheds and hard standing in that way in the past. Sometimes it goes through and is quicker as basically they have to object or ask any questions within 28 days other times I’ve had to go full planning ap..more time, money and expense for same result in the end but at least everyone gets a say in it.

Ah ok, ..I put a steel frame up way back in the 80s at home and remember at 60x20 it was within the permitted footage. We were in national park so had to use specific roofing material to help blend in .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, briscoe said:

Nobody is saying J shouldnt be allowed to live well or work to better himself. However he seems to have an issue with the value of property/ land in Devon and theres not alot you can do about that. Calling people a cunt for voicing that opinion to me shows a lack of intellect and abilty to debate sensibly. 

Tbh I lost interest when "dolescum" and "landscum" were getting bandied around .

1 hour ago, Big J said:

We had a yard of similar size about 15 miles outside of Edinburgh when we had the sawmill and it was £1200/month. That was fairly cheap for the area. It comprised of just under an acre of yard space and a variety of barns and covered space totalling around 700 square metres. Mostly in a terrible state of repair (to the point where the main one was impossible to keep dry in rain storms and we had to install a hefty bilge pump) and the rent went to an unscrupulous Estate whose forestry, farming and environmental policy was deplorable. 

You might be able to get a yard for £500/month, but that is well below what is typical. 

it depends wether you are integrated into the rural community or not

if you are i’d say it’s fairly typical 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

sorry, i don’t understand? 

What I meant is if a stranger (not integrated into the rural community) as you put it,  just went along and asked several local farmers to rent some space for machinery and timber storage how much more would they expect to pay?

I've rented a container and space for a trailer, not at mates rates and that £500 seems like there is some other element to the transaction - you love the people and they love you back

42 minutes ago, tree-fancier123 said:

What I meant is if a stranger (not integrated into the rural community) as you put it,  just went along and asked several local farmers to rent some space for machinery and timber storage how much more would they expect to pay?

I've rented a container and space for a trailer, not at mates rates and that £500 seems like there is some other element to the transaction - you love the people and they love you back

it’s not a member family if that’s what your getting at. I’ve lived in the area my whole life, grown up knowing the same people and drinking in the same pubs. you know,  things that happen if you live in a rural community 

my last yard which was about 1/2 a mile away was about a third of the size and i payed £240 a month