Big J on radio 4..

benedmonds

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Build a relationship with farmers! Try turning up in someone's yard in a Transit with a genuine request to work along side each other and you'll get out quicker than you went in. When I rented my yard off a local farmer ( who turned out to be a good old boy) I had to get another farmer that I happened to know from the pub in the village to vouch for me. Easier said than done!

If anyone turned up unannounced in my yard in a Transit requesting to ‘work alongside me’ I’d make instant assumptions that their intentions were not at all beneficial to me.

I cannot think of a single reason why I would take such an approach as anything other than the start of some sort of scam. 

Maybe I’m racist towards transit drivers though! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joking aside though it’s easier than ever to buy food direct from producers. Most people don’t bother.

We try to have open days often. Had one a few weeks ago and we put the figures of subs the biggest claimants get and then what we get. We also make sure people understand this is only how the food they buy of us is produced, if they buy cheap chickens from Tesco go and have a look at a 25,000 bird broiler house not a few chickens scratching round the grass.

You genuinely think the farmer would get 80% and the retailer 20?
The subsidy at the minute just makes the material into the supply chain cheaper. The retailers sell for the maximum prices they can get. The price wouldn’t change. The tax payer would benefit from less cost in, but the retailers wouldn’t be dropping there prices.

Producers get shit on because most folk don’t care where or who produces there food. If they did and built a relationship with farmers they’d both have a much better deal.

I’ve no idea. 2p was just the first number that came into my head. It doesn’t matter. What does matter is that one system pays politicians and civil servants to take and give. The other system doesn’t. The latter system can therefore provide the same thing for less because there’s no politicans’ cut.

1 minute ago, AHPP said:

I’ve no idea. 2p was just the first number that came into my head. It doesn’t matter. What does matter is that one system pays politicians and civil servants to take and give. The other system doesn’t. The latter system can therefore provide the same thing for less because there’s no politicans’ cut.

It could provide the same for less but unfortunately the big retailers absolutely control the market and would swallow any money saved and so it won’t happen.

Big business is just as unhelpful as big government.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

If anyone turned up unannounced in my yard in a Transit requesting to ‘work alongside me’ I’d make instant assumptions that their intentions were not at all beneficial to me.

I cannot think of a single reason why I would take such an approach as anything other than the start of some sort of scam. 

Maybe I’m racist towards transit drivers though! 

Ok, lost in translation, or my poor way of phrasing it. Trying to build relationships with farmers if you aren't known to them or the area is like trying to knit fog I found.

• Like 2

It could provide the same for less but unfortunately the big retailers absolutely control the market and would swallow any money saved and so it won’t happen.
Big business is just as unhelpful as big government.

Then everybody will starve and Tesco won’t have anyone to sell to.

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Ok, lost in translation, or my poor way of phrasing it. Trying to build relationships with farmers if you aren't known to them or the area is like trying to knit fog I found.

I think you are correct. Most farmers know everyone/everything that is going on in their area - their’s isn’t a business that pops up overnight.

It is moving away from the point to suggest that it is difficult/impossible to deal with farmers though - they (and this is a generalisation based on my experience) tend to be incredibly shrewd, and often successfully run much much larger businesses than appearances may suggest! They are as good at doing deals as they are at turning sunshine into milk/wheat/lamb etc! 

• Like 1