My latest project. Chunked down to the crotch.IMG-20190820-WA0001.thumb.jpg.0235e587b69689d7f0df03f27e2f9163.jpg

Then felled against the lean (bout 17 degrees). Leaning over septic tank, had to go the other way. Used a trick I came up with, and it worked.

IMG_20190826_154416220_HDR.thumb.jpg.be68a0ca16e578f784e094a9a3a69308.jpg

This above was the state of the lean.

IMG_20190826_155941174_HDR.thumb.jpg.bad0d56a3e71dd3fc50e9dfade9831ce.jpgThis after making the cuts and cranking the tirfor, tree was at vertical.

IMG_20190826_160308809_HDR.thumb.jpg.7e356f9bf8aa9c102019b6ae834e4783.jpgAnd down. Tirfor cable slung round the back of the stem, so the stem was in about 45 degree bite. There was no anchor point in the direction of pull, so I "pushed" it instead.

• Like 5

No, never done that, good idea.

You could put the cable inside the leaner, with a pulley or even a crab on a sling round the victim, thus reducing friction and cable damage.

Good idea though, thumbs up emoji!

Now I think about, my idea wouldn’t work very well as,

A. The pulley may get damaged when it fell.

B. You’d have difficulty releasing the tension on the winch once it was committed to the lay.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

You could put the cable inside the leaner, with a pulley or even a crab on a sling round the victim, thus reducing friction and cable damage.

B. You’d have difficulty releasing the tension on the winch once it was committed to the lay.

That would definitely work if you needed to lay the tree down very gently. As soon as it reached the tipping point, it would be caught in the reversed bite, cradled, if you will, and you could then slack off slowly and lower it to the ground, assuming there was enough length of cable. I doubt it would damage the pulley, not mine anyway, but likely the pulley and the tree and the cable all jammed together would damage the cable.

Edited by Haironyourchest

3 minutes ago, The avantgardener said:

Tirfor produce a useful ground anchor that sometimes come up on flea bay, quite useful for winching with no natural anchor points. 

Yup, definitly an item on my long term wish list. I maight get around to fabricating a proper ground anchor at some stage. So far I've been pretty luckly with nearby trees and extension cable.

34 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Very ingenious, and obviously worked. The only thing I can see is the tree has to slide along the cable as it comes upright, so this implies there must be a side load on the hinge which is not immediately obvious.

I'd be interested to hear opinions from those who have done more winching.

True. I was slightly worried about this. I'd like to hear more opinions as well. The cable was pushing/sliding around about a quarter of the stem, producing one assumes, axial torque on the hinge and some side loading. I left a very generous hinge to account for this. Impossible to know how much unwanted directional force was produced, but given the cable is slippery steel, I wasn't too worried. I suppose you could sleeve the cable with a meter or so of waterpipe, and spray silicon lube to reduce friction.

Edited by Haironyourchest

6 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Isn't there a danger of the stem rolling along the cable if it's on the inside?

3 hours ago, Con said:

Isn't there a danger of the stem rolling along the cable if it's on the inside?

Yeah there would be, if the hinge was starting to go. Also as the tree passes vertical and falls, there could be a shock load on the system, depending how much of an angle of bite you started off with.