Converting ms261 and ms500i to same chain

jeffa999

Hello,

Trying to just have one type of chain running on all our ground saws which are ms261's and ms500i's is this possible would ideally like to .325 on the 500i but finding it difficult to find any info about how to go about doing this and even if that's safe/possible.

Thanks

Jeff.

As far as I understand though, .325 on the 261 will cut smoother and faster especially on smaller limbs. Smaller kerf takes less power.

3/8 chain is stronger and the bigger kerf is better for chip ejection so suits longer bars/bigger engines.

Putting .325 chain on a MS500i strikes me like buying a fast car and putting cheap tyres on it, can't use the performance you've paid for.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jeffa999 said:

Thanks for your replies just wish there was a way for all our ground saws to run the same chain....

Its physics really . You could   in reality but efficiency would be lost . Imagine a small 35cc saw with a carving bar running .404 full chisel square ground chain ...then imagine a 120cc saw with .043 gauge narrow kirf   lowpro chain . ......

Use the right tool for the job. It's a good idea to be practical and pragmatic, but there is a point where you must compromise. When it comes to tools, what's more important is the job gets done efficiently, effectively, and affordably, and maybe even safely. The tool needs to conform to these aspects first before being uniform. In fact, the very phrase of having the best tool for the job means that the tools shall differ. It's logistics versus practice here.

I would stick with 325 on the 40-50cc saws(and I also prefer it on 30cc saws as well), and 3/8 on the larger saws. Even on strongly ported 50cc saws, I still prefer 325 - smoother, smaller kerf, lasts well enough, and we now have a large amount for choice in various 325 chains for different jobs. 

• Like 1