Headstock for flail..which way round??

LeeGray

5 hours ago, doobin said:

I'm just fitting an Intermecato Tigergrip and rotator with a headstock (thanks for the reccomendation on the digger thread Eddie!) and I spent quite a lot of time playing around with templates to get the crowd angle where I wanted it (ie, so you can hold the grab out straight in front of you with ease)

I'd say you want something like the above for a flail. You'll never want to point it straight back at you, thats for sure, so might as well go the whole hog the other way.

2019-08-25 13.14.27.jpg

2019-08-26 16.12.15.jpg

2019-08-25 13.15.41.jpg

The cutout in the main plate is to allow the front of the hitch clearance at such an angle- watch you for this.

Can’t believe I never thought of a template. Makes a lot of sense! I’ll have a bash with this then use the headstock for something else and make a deeper one possibly.

Generally accepted is if you want to utilise the grab for assisted felling type work and not just handling, put 40 degrees of angle on it.

Obviously if you have the facilities nothing better than a bit of trial and error until you get it just how you want it.

I use three pin pickups at 90 degrees to have the best of both worlds.

Eddie.

3 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Ha ha!! Mine’s twin aux too and they claimed there was one in stock somewhere but now are coming up with all sorts of flannel as to where it is.

Are you pleased with it? Is it straight?!....

Seems to be. I've only driven it around the yard for half an hour, my op had it out Monday, called me up midday and said I'm in the red for diesel!! So I went out, and ten litres near on fillled it, so the gauge isn't quite right somewhere. The left track lever is sticking but might sort itself out. Hell of a lot of power, especially tracking. The dipper control is a lot less sensitive than the boom, may just be something you get used to or may need adjusting. Oh, and there's 3mm of space for shims in the quick hitch, which isn't acceptable, they should have been fitted. I'll get them to sort it all out at the first 50 hour service.

Edited by doobin

Grab is the next thing on the cards. Got Rsl timber grab on at the moment but with rotate piped to crowd. Really not much use for anything other than brash, bagging up silage wraps or little logs. Want something that I can use for demolition etc. Just bagged up 30t of walling stone and it would’ve been easy with a proper set up

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Seems to be. I've only driven it around the yard for half an hour, my op had it out Monday, called me up midday and said I'm in the red for diesel!! So I went out, and ten litres near on fillled it, so the gauge isn't quite right somewhere. The left track lever is sticking but might sort itself out. Hell of a lot of power, especially tracking. The dipper control is a lot less sensitive than the boom, may just be something you get used to or may need adjusting. Oh, and there's 3mm of space for shims in the quick hitch, which isn't acceptable, they should have been fitted. I'll get them to sort it all out at the first 50 hour service.

Not massively confidence inspiring...

Remember you need to get your lever in to undo the hitch, going by the above picture It will be tight to get leverage if your lever is straight and not a 90 degrees end.

I often crown the flail right in for taking out polythene and for tightening/ sharpening the blades.  Keeps it in nice and tight rather than at full stretch where it will gradually drop with the weight.

So I’ve got the flail on tonight to give it a bash and it’s absolutely hammering out fluid. Tightened all the fittings to the motor but nothing really budged. It comes out so hard I don’t want to get near it to have a look. 

Am I missing something obvious here? Was hoping I’d just plug the flow and return and play! It’s a second hand machine and as far as I know is in as operated condition/settings..

Sometimes hydraulic fittings need ‘Doughty’ washers (a bonded seal with rubber inside a steel washer) to seal - this is often the case going into motors/spool blocks etc (anywhere that the male/female parts of the fittings don’t compress together inside). If you can tighten the fitting until there’s no threads showing then the chances are it should haves doughty - don’t dog it up or you’ll break something/strip threads.

Also, is there a case drain and have you plumbed it into a return line! 

• Like 1