Help needed on mill choice....

Lough Gur Slabber

I ordered the following panther mill:

PM-48-GB48 Panther Horizon Chainsaw Mill 48" with GB 48" Lo Pro Milling Bar 3/8 Lo Pro .050 153 drive links

My saw is an ms880 with 48' duromatic bar.

From reading on this forum I'm hearing that a low pro bar isn't ideal for someone new to milling.

Should I only be considering 404 ripping chain with sprocket nosed bar?

My budget mightn't stretch to the PM60, especially as I feel I should also be attaching an auxiliary oiler. Now I'm fed up and don't know whether to change my order and if so....to what.

Have loads of trees lined up and all my new gear, just waiting on a mill but which one. My budget was totalling around £650 with tax and delivery.

Hi yeah it can be a bit daunting to start with but the best guy to ask is Rob from Panther as i guess that's who your buying from. I think i read somewhere that the 880 might be to big to run a low pro setup i might be wrong. I run a low pro setup on the ms660 ok.  All the best and enjoy.

http://www.facebook.com/wowallthatwood

Edited by 54gka
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much about starting lo-pro. I have and have had very few teething problems. There's not a lot of point in going for a bigger rig than you need. You just use more consumables and have more large gear to tote around. If you mill away from home as it were, you can also have the problem of not being able to get your rig in where the log is which is one of the big advantages of an Alaskan. I run a 36 most of the time, 48 occasionally and the 72 hardly ever.

As for paint, cheapo bitumastic roofing paint works well for me.

Hi I run 404 on my Alaskan always have and a nice Sugi bar been milling like that for 5/6yrs now ,good luck and have fun ,too F###ing hot for milling at the mo at a show yesterday and Saturday bloody melting in my Kevlar !hats off to the tree monkeys this weather