Show me your tipper trailer with high sides!

KristofferNJ

Hello people!

We are looking into buying a tipper trailer for the company. Currently looking at the Eduard 3318, 3500kg, 3 way tipper. We like it for the low weight, low price and the build quality of our mates 2000 kg Eduard. Low weight is important for us, as the Transit will only tow 2800 kgs at the moment.
However, for chipping into it, we need high sides and a roof.

There is 3 options as i see it:
1: Build a plywood solution. Defo the cheapest, but how to attach? And also, we dont like the unofficial self built look of that. We'd like something a bit more pro ;)

2: Buy the 70cm high mesh sides and attach plywood inside them. More expensive (560GBP + VAT) but more robust. However, still carries a bit of the unofficial look, and also heavier.

3: Buy 70cm high alu sides, which are top hinged and allows for the flat tarp top be mounted on them, as to provide at roof.
They are the ones in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZm27R-iy0s

They are more expensive (950 GBP+ VAT) but look awesome and possibly ligther than the mesh+plywood solution.

We are liking number 3 the most, but please show us what you have done. Is there a 4th solution? ;)

Bonus question: Does any of you have en Eduard tipper?

Never heard of them before either, but they look good. Good website too.

I'd say go for the factory spec sides. Will look the best and you know they will fit properly and look the part.

If you were to choose the mesh sides maybe consider using clear perspex sides, it has minimal visual impact, you can see through it when tipping up or reversing and its surprisingly hard wearing. 

I used phenolic resin plywood sides for the body on the unimog but I wouldn't reccomend it! As heavy as steel and not a lot cheaper!

• Like 2

I have an 2014 Eduard 3318 as 3t. It performed very well and has beyond 150.000km on it's invisible clock. 

Breaking cables and the hand pump went out, the electrical one works fine. Got the shock absorbers and rear support legs mounted. The jockey wheel has it's holder replaced with a weld on version. 

It's rugged and well built. 

Expect the empty weight to be a lie. 

Got 40cm sides+70cm mesh on it. 

Drove it to a scale and it's 980kgs empty. Without any sides or mesh as a flatbed, it was still 780kg. 

Anyway you won't go wrong. The  mesh is really tough. It allows airflow when empty with a low towing vehicle. 

Edited by marne

On 25/08/2019 at 22:43, Conor Wright said:

If you were to choose the mesh sides maybe consider using clear perspex sides, it has minimal visual impact, you can see through it when tipping up or reversing and its surprisingly hard wearing. 

Good point about visibility, but it will be towed behind a Transit van, so most of the time i wont be able to see it anyway :P
Also, I'd very much like to put a reversing camera on it, money permitting.

On 26/08/2019 at 09:10, marne said:

I have an 2014 Eduard 3318 as 3t. It performed very well and has beyond 150.000km on it's invisible clock. 

Breaking cables and the hand pump went out, the electrical one works fine. Got the shock absorbers and rear support legs mounted. The jockey wheel has it's holder replaced with a weld on version. 

It's rugged and well built. 

Good to hear!
Were breaking cables expensive to replace?
Do you use the rear support mainly when tipping, or more when loading machinery?

On 26/08/2019 at 12:09, Mick Dempsey said:

Mesh sides/Ali sheeting.

Nice!
Is it a "u-shape" or indivudal sides put in?

Thanks for your replies!

I'm generally happy that you all seem posetive about the Eduard, no bad rumours is a good thing :)

Good points about value on the high side, when factoring in plywood and time.

I've seen the Twin Trailer, and while i like the idea, they are too heavy. It should be a 5 tonne methinks ;)

Also, does any of charge it while you drive, or do you plug it in over night?