Renovating tractors/machines, original colour or not?

drinksloe

Alright

Just wondering folks opinions when tarting up an older tractor/machine ( possibly even classic/vintage age) are u better to keep the original colour??

I finally got time to pick up a mini skidder I bought a few weeks ago, I plan to work it in small scale forestry so planned to respray it green so less visible to vandals if left on site overnight.

Not that there really is a lot to vandalise on it

But my mate who came down to pick it up reckons I should keep it the orginal funny orange colour.

His reasons possibly higher resale value ( which I agree with althou not planning to sell and would imagine be sold as a working machine anyway.)

Also u always miss the wee nooks and crannies which can look bad ( but again I tend to be function over looks esp with work tools but do like them to look well to a point)

His final point which was a sort of joke but does make quite a bit of sense, I could put it into odd local vintage tractor things/shows.

Not really my thing but could be good cheap advertising as quite a strange looking machine. 

Esp when that side off business is pretty new.

I'm I wrong in still wanting just to spray it green???

All his points make sense but I still want to spray it green!! Plus got some green paint in workshop

It's nice to see things stay original where possible but if vandalism is an issue that has to take priority. Can you just spray the main body work so it could be redone if you ever wanted to sell it. 

Just been up power washing it and degreasing it.

Looks a bit better than I thought.

Aye I understand keeping it real on a classic tractor for show, but on a working machine I really only are it works as it should.

But I am  thinking more about keeping it original.

I could soon throw a camo net over it if I was really worried, burt got no windows to break and little electrics. 

Itis also road towable if in real bandit country

Dumper how do u post pictures??

i 'm a real numpty when it comes to computers etc. I did a quick search but couldnae find anything

Still use a push button phone althou thinking I might have to go back to the dark side and get another smart phone. Really enjoying only having to charge phone every week or so

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update, still dunno how to post photos.

But going 'green' , just had it out on an unexpected job for a mate, was a mix of original orange and red oxide primer, left it up in the wood and it's stood out like a sore thumb, not to bad in white grass thou

Not that there much to vandalise and steal on it still better if folk don't see it.

Machine far out performed wot I expected so not going to be sold in a hurry, althou stil has a few small issues but nothing major.