Extra long hedge trimmer

Dawsie

Anyone have any bright ideas how I can tackle a 6mtr high conifer hedge that requires a short back & sides, trouble is that access to the front face is awkward because of close proximity to two bloody poly tunnels more or less running the whole length of the hedge (approx. 20mts) there is literally just enough space to stand between hedge and poly tunnels.

This hedge is in a large rear garden with no access for any type of tele handler to lift me over the top of the poly tunnels and apart from erecting a scaffold working platform over the poly tunnels I cant think of another way of doing it, apart from an extra long hedge trimmer, is there such a thing available?

This situation is made somewhat more awkward by the fact that this is the home of a commercial client of mine that I get quite a bit of work from so it wont go down too well if I try and get out of it by saying I'm too busy, etc. 

Any advice would be much appreciated.

The kombi with two extensions will kill your back.. I tried it before and found it easier to stick with a pole trimmer and use a wooden painter's ladder. The extensions are heavy. A telescopic polesaw with trimmer attachment should be lighter on the body..
Alternatively could you mewp from the other side over the top and use a pole trimmer in a downwards direction from above the hedge, get 3 mtrs done from below as normal and complete the job from above?

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions so far, yes, tried the ladder approach, literally not enough width to move around, it is so tight.

The Echo telescopic with additional extension suggestion may be worth pursuing though.

I've always exclusively used Stihl hedge trimmers so know nothing about the Echo, are they up to the job? 

48 minutes ago, Dawsie said:

Thanks for the suggestions so far, yes, tried the ladder approach, literally not enough width to move around, it is so tight.

The Echo telescopic with additional extension suggestion may be worth pursuing though.

I've always exclusively used Stihl hedge trimmers so know nothing about the Echo, are they up to the job? 

Personally not tried the echo long reach but I do have one of their non long reach cutters abnd they definitely are up to the job.