Disgruntled employee

forestboy1978

As someone who hires lots of people via my agency I'd recommend you don't sack him. Its not really a sackable offence to be lippy. Having said that, any employer can within 2 years of employment commencing fire off anyone for any reason, you don't even need to disclose a reason though an employee asking why and being told I'm not telling you would probably wonder what kind of employer you are.

just have a one to one side conversation with the guy preferably with someone present who isn't related to you and the individual would see more as an impartial colleague than you, the boss. When I had staff issues I'd always sit down with one of their peers and it'd be their peer giving them the hard time if they were out of order, not me. That approach to constructive criticism is always better received by the individual whose attitude you are hoping to improve. 

Staff handling is easy, manipulative mind games if you like. Any employee wants to feel loved, appreciated, valued. Any employers just wants to screw their workers to work as hard for maximum reward for themselves. Otherwise whats the point in employing people. A good boss will engage with their staff and build a strong team spirit where criticism can be heard but in the end the boss is there to lead and keep order.

Edited by baz
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Could be he's not a "morning person". Is it standard procedure to ask employees to confirm their wages/hours? I have no idea, never employed anyone, other than the odd day here and there with friends.

He works random days. Sometimes gets over time for staying on. Sometimes gets a 60% half day rate if it's shitting it down and would rather be at home early etcetera. I just run it by them to be sure we're all on the same page. I know what it is going to be but I just want to double check first. Mistakes are easily made when you're doing all your admin after a hard days work. 

8 minutes ago, baz said:

As someone who hires lots of people via my agency I'd recommend you don't sack him. Its not really a sackable offence to be lippy. Having said that, any employer can within 2 years of employment commencing fire off anyone for any reason, you don't even need to disclose a reason though an employee asking why and being told I'm not telling you would probably wonder what kind of employer you are.

just have a one to one side conversation with the guy preferably with someone present who isn't related to you and the individual would see more as an impartial colleague than you, the boss. When I had staff issues I'd always sit down with one of their peers and it'd be their peer giving them the hard time if they were out of order, not me. That approach to constructive criticism is always better received by the individual whose attitude you are hoping to improve. 

Staff handling is easy, manipulative mind games if you like. Any employee wants to feel loved, appreciated, valued. Any employers just wants to screw their workers to work as hard for maximum reward for themselves. Otherwise whats the point in employing people. A good boss will engage with their staff and build a strong team spirit where criticism can be heard but in the end the boss is there to lead and keep order.

But he's not that good. He's not as strong as me so i do the harder lifting and he couldn't be left alone to do an install after nearly 2 years. New guy is 2 months and already can be relied upon for example. In short, he doesn't really get it. I like him, but he's not going to be good. Fine line between being a decent human being and screwing yourself by paying more than a persons ability justifies. Especially when they're bitching at you for this and that.

And he's untrainable cos he refuses to learn to drive... 

I just don't get the logic of a person who agrees terms to work for you and then endlessly bitches about his awesome skills not being rewarded. I have a second job, I have a boss. We negotiated terms 4 years ago. I went in high, gave him my word that there would never be a renegotiation but I do want inflation matched. Kept my word, do my job and do it well. Never been a single issue.

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

He has a 12 day per month contract but often works almost full time. Sometimes a monday off, or a friday or whatnot.. his days range from 12 -21 per month depending on how much he wants the work. 

So do you have to keep phoning him up and asking if he wants to work or not ?

Just now, Stubby said:

So do you have to keep phoning him up and asking if he wants to work or not ?

Nope. Near the end of the month we discuss the following month. I always give him his days off Friday or Monday so he gets long weekends. He chooses how much more than 12 days he wants depending on his circumstances. This works well for him and myself frankly as some jobs only need 2 guys.

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

Nope. Near the end of the month we discuss the following month. I always give him his days off Friday or Monday so he gets long weekends. He chooses how much more than 12 days he wants depending on his circumstances. This works well for him and myself frankly as some jobs only need 2 guys.

Oh . Ok . Sounds more like casual labor .

• Like 1

Average about 15-16 days i would think. 

I could actually do with someone else full time frankly now as I can't really keep up with the quotes. 

Funnily enough I met him through his brother in law who worked for me for 18 months and we are talking about him coming back next spring. Of course he'll earn more as he can drive, has aerial rescue, large fell etc. This is probably what is pissing him off. Everyone gets paid more than him because they can get in a vehicle and pull a trailer or whatever.