Disgruntled employee

forestboy1978

Was doing wage calculations this morning for the guys to get off to accountant with plenty of time.  

Sent one a text confirming calcs were right and letting him know when to be at the yard Tuesday morning. Got a text back telling me that he made calcs £5 less but he'll take it as I don't pay him enough and moaned about me waking him up. 

I obviously replied that I don't make him go to work. He chooses to. And not to give me shit about it. If he doesn't want to work for agreed pay then don't work. Very simple. 

He turned it round saying if that's what I want and I don't appreciate him etc. So I said NO, I'm saying we agree a rate of pay for you to work. You don't like it, you don't have to work. If he wants to earn more then learn to drive. Until then, as explained before, there is nothing more I can do with him so man up. 

He then said some BS about coming from a guy who can't do simple maths. To which I said, ENOUGH, I added a fiver onto your half day rate on a day this month as a courtesy, stop being a child. Give me your decision by the end of the day. 

This is all fresh and I know what to do really but can anyone else see this from any other perspective than mine? I'm flabbergasted really. 

I'm think along the lines of tell him to take a month off or firing him outright but not sure where I stand legally. No disciplinary has been done. Really I see no other route than firing or he'll rot out the apple cart but in some ways he's quite an easy chap to get along with and a steady reliable worker. 

Maybe tell him to take a month off and I'll find someone part time. Still, again, legality?

I don't know the legalities. Middle ground is needed for a good working relationship between the employee and the employer. I sub to a fella locally at £200/day, he thought I was going to travel down to Bluewater shopping centre in my van, (120 mile round journey) for the same money, he was wrong. If he's a good lad that turns out when he says he will and puts the graft in look out to him, good grafters are worth their weight in gold.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, swinny said:

Can't just understand all this.... But if I read correctly I'd be tempted after you told him to take it or leave it. I would be tempted to tell you to shove it up your arse if I was already disgruntled with you

yeah exactly. He wants more money but wont learn to drive. I can't train him or justify training if he wont drive so i cna't pay him more money. So then leave.  But don't break my balls about it. The convo has been had. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, forestboy1978 said:

yeah exactly. He wants more money but wont learn to drive. I can't train him or justify training if he wont drive so i cna't pay him more money. So then leave.  But don't break my balls about it. The convo has been had.

That's fair enough then. Sounds like a bit of deadwood lol 

People that don't drive are no good to a business 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, forestboy1978 said:

Don't give him the DCM just yet, you're going to still need a lad that turns out for you?, sit him down Tuesday, don't take his lip and explain in no uncertain terms that you will pay him more when he gets a driving license. Help the lad to help you.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Don't give him the DCM just yet, you're going to still need a lad that turns out for you?, sit him down Tuesday, don't take his lip and explain in no uncertain terms that you will pay him more when he gets a driving license. Help the lad to help you.

Nicely put eggs,Any developments on the lady friend 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Had this convo. He wont budge on it. Even took him for 2 driving lessons personally. Don't have time atm. Wroking 60-80 hour weeks.