Jump to content
gobbypunk

Been playing with electricity again

Recommended Posts

Hi yep just a quick box I knocked up it’s going to have rope handles quite chuffed with it ,we are at a wood fair this weekend so hopefully it will sell but as with most things I make putting a price on it is difficult ant thoughts on what’s it worth 

Cheers Mark 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did you use a microwave transformer or a neon sign transformer?

As a sparky in a former life just interested in the technical side of it.

Nice looking piece.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi yep just a quick box I knocked up it’s going to have rope handles quite chuffed with it ,we are at a wood fair this weekend so hopefully it will sell but as with most things I make putting a price on it is difficult ant thoughts on what’s it worth 

Cheers Mark 

Mark,
Hourly rate x time taken.
Then multiply it by how creative you feel you've been, on a scale of 1 - 5.
 

Edited by Mark J
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Roy’s yep I used a microwave transformer,but I am on the lookout for a transformer from oil burning central heating as I have been told they are safer the neon transformers there are 2 types and only the one type is any good but can’t remember what one sorry.

Cheers Mark 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The neon transformer you need is one that supports an open circuit I made the mistake of buying one which is "too" safe and will not put out the voltage in the desired manner. I ended up importing one of these

CONESTOGAWORKS.COM

Conestoga Works Purveyor of Vacuum Systems for the Wood Worker. Vacuum Chambers, Vacuum Kilns, Vacuum Pumps...

about as safe as 12,000 volts can be :scared1:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/08/2019 at 08:36, gobbypunk said:

Hi Roy’s yep I used a microwave transformer,but I am on the lookout for a transformer from oil burning central heating as I have been told they are safer the neon transformers there are 2 types and only the one type is any good but can’t remember what one sorry.

Cheers Mark 

Hi Mark cheers for that, was under the impression that neon sign transformers were safer than microwave transformers as the neon ones were a lot more limiting on the current while still supplying loads of voltage causing the tracking on the wood.

i am sure I saw Big Clive do a YouTube vid on this explaining the differences.

Can’t comment on the oil burner transformers as I am not sure of their characteristics.

Edited by roys
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, roys said:

Hi Mark cheers for that, was under the impression that neon sign transformers were safer than microwave transformers as the neon ones were a lot more limiting on the current while still supplying loads of voltage to causing the tracking on the wood.

i am sure I saw Big Clive do a YouTube vid on this explaining the differences.

Cant comment on the oil burner transformers as I am not sure of their characteristics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3E12nnpWc5c

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.