USA based "Chainsaw" type brush cutter disc - anyone seen one in the UK

cjdg

Surely that is a more risky reinvention of a standard clearing saw blade? Standard ones have basic chainsaw type cutters that you sharpen as normal and are one piece construction, work well cutting scrub or re-spacing regen, I've used them on the husky 555, something for large machines only.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, doobin said:

I can’t imagine why you’d still use one of those blades as described above, which blunt in minutes, rather than a standard, very cheap, tct circular saw blade.

Yeah, using the tct blade is effective and easy to control, as it's at the end of the strimmer it doesn't get too close to you so as long as your not in close company....fairly safe and great for thick scrub,  don't know about health and safety though.

Here's a guy testing a few things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYOlZb2bmmU

On 23/08/2019 at 21:51, doobin said:

I can’t imagine why you’d still use one of those blades as described above, which blunt in minutes, rather than a standard, very cheap, tct circular saw blade. 

PUWER, and happily give them a quick file, just like you would with a saw in similar use, takes seconds, cost ~£11 if memory serves imagine if you ding a tft on site it needs changing?

49 minutes ago, Andrew McEwan said:

PUWER, and happily give them a quick file, just like you would with a saw in similar use, takes seconds, cost ~£11 if memory serves imagine if you ding a tft on site it needs changing?

The fact is the blade tips are traveling at at least 300mph and if they come loose they fly  off unrestricted by any guard therefore they do not comply with the regs with a chainsaw there is little centrifugal force to overcome. Realistically nothing will happen until somthing does then the bricks will fall, ignorance is no defence in law

Edited by dumper
Spelling

11 hours ago, Andrew McEwan said:
On 23/08/2019 at 21:51, doobin said:

Are you saying that TCT tipped sawblades don't comply under PUWER when used in a brushcutter? It would worry me that it could spit teeth if it suddenly encountered a bit of iron.

BTW I agree with you that a simple steel maxi blade that sharpens on the front face of the tooth with a flat file or a one with chainsaw profile teeth that sharpens as a chainsaw with a round file is simple and effective. When respacing it is almost inevitable you will hit a rock sometime. Having said that I could work all day with the 165r and not need to sharpen at all.  Nowadays I would use the bottom cup which I use with the mulcher blade to keep the head a bit off the ground. It extends the life of a mulcher blade many fold.

PS the flat file for sharpening a maxi blade needs to be one with teeth on a rounded edge, a flat file used for rakers would produce a right angled gullet from which a crack could propagate

Edited by openspaceman
added PS