USA based "Chainsaw" type brush cutter disc - anyone seen one in the UK

cjdg

Dear All, 

SALTYCORN.COM

Shape Up Your Yard! Is your lawn looking a little out of shape? Is your garden overgrown? Do your hedges need a haircut? The Heavy Duty Brushcutter is like having a lawn crew to...

Came across this USA tool on a FB video that looks to be too good to be true, rather dangerously cutting down small trees and making mincemeat out of small brushwood.  I need something for thick bamboo. The Stihl circular saw blade is useless.   Anyone come across anything similar in the UK?

Any recommendations as to what would be best on my HD Stihl? 

Am contemplating welding on a (sharp but damaged) chain (the undamaged part!) to an existing plate as a DIY. 

Thoughts?

Guest Gimlet

I wonder how long a blade like that would last. It's not delivering a controlled and steady cut like a chainsaw. It's going to take a battering, bouncing of stems and hitting unintended objects. I would of thought it would disintegrate fairly quickly.  

Making a DIY blade from an old saw chain sounds like an accident waiting to happen. 

For general heavy brush and especially old bramble I use a three pointed Oregon shredder blade. It's pretty devastating and will take out green saplings to about 20 mm thickness and lasts for ages with resharpening.

How thick are your bamboo stems?

Edited by Gimlet
add detail

1 hour ago, cjdg said:

Dear All, 

SALTYCORN.COM

Shape Up Your Yard! Is your lawn looking a little out of shape? Is your garden overgrown? Do your hedges need a haircut? The Heavy Duty Brushcutter is like having a lawn crew to...

Came across this USA tool on a FB video that looks to be too good to be true, rather dangerously cutting down small trees and making mincemeat out of small brushwood.  I need something for thick bamboo. The Stihl circular saw blade is useless.   Anyone come across anything similar in the UK?

Am contemplating welding on a (sharp but damaged) chain (the undamaged part!) to an existing plate as a DIY. 

Thoughts?

Yep I have seen them before . Clearing saw had one on . It was in this country a few years back .

Guest Gimlet

14 minutes ago, cjdg said:

20 to 30 mm but not very wooden and strong so the Oregon tip sounds like it might be the ticket.  Thanks.

It smashes rather than cuts clean but it's brilliant for reducing thick brush almost to mulch. They're heavy though. Needs 40 cc+ and a strong drive train IMO.

7 hours ago, cjdg said:

Dear All, 

SALTYCORN.COM

Thoughts?

These are similar to the broggio heads from a few years back, I think they might not be legal to use, as the riveted on teeth can fly off with no guard to stop flight

1 hour ago, dumper said:

These are similar to the broggio heads from a few years back, I think they might not be legal to use, as the riveted on teeth can fly off with no guard to stop flight

They were banned 6yrs ago, a poor guy died after a piece flew off

"

The European Commission (DG Enterprise and Industry) has required Member States to prohibit the placing on the market of flail-type cutting attachments consisting of several linked metal parts (e.g. chains) for portable hand-held brush cutters. Non-standard metal brush cutting accessories fitted to petrol driven brush cutters can fail catastrophically in-service.

There is a risk of death or serious injury to operators and others in vicinity from ejected metal components. These accessories are manufactured from more than one component and rotate at high speeds"

Just now, scbk said:

"

The European Commission (DG Enterprise and Industry) has required Member States to prohibit the placing on the market of flail-type cutting attachments consisting of several linked metal parts (e.g. chains) for portable hand-held brush cutters. Non-standard metal brush cutting accessories fitted to petrol driven brush cutters can fail catastrophically in-service.

There is a risk of death or serious injury to operators and others in vicinity from ejected metal components. These accessories are manufactured from more than one component and rotate at high speeds"

That’s what I was looking for

1 hour ago, scbk said:

"

But these aren't " flail - type " cutting attachments . No swinging chains . Cutters are riveted to the disk .  Not saying the wont fly off if they take a knock  but this is not what is described in the European Commission document that you quoted .