Keeping rats out of a rabbit enclosure

Steve Bullman

I have a little project on the go while the other half is away. I have a bit of space to the side of my garage that is basically going to waste so I want to make it into an outdoor rabbit area so they can always be out. Currently they are in the back garden and we let them out of their cage for a few hours each day, but then it means we have to keep the dogs locked up.

So heres the plan. I am going to excavate the area out, put down steel cage/wiring on the ground, cover it with a layer of top soil and then turf over the top of that, so they can't dig their way out. I will also make a few mounds with tunnels etc in the area. The fence to the side I will be attaching wire mesh too so they can't get out there either. The top will also have wire panels, so the whole thing will be pretty secure.

I have made a hole into the garage and will be constructing a 2 story hutch in there so they have somewhere dry and safe to sleep, and can basically come and go as they please.

All in all they will be quite spoiled rabbits as far as freedom goes. My concern though is rats. The most obvious thing I can think of is to replace the tubing I currently have going into the garage with a microchip catflap, which in theory should mean that they can quickly get to safety in the event of a rat finding its way into the enclosure. My concern is that they wouldn't get away in time, although rabbits are pretty scatty so i'm guessing they would run to safety at the first sign of movement. 

I can't really think of any better options than this at the moment so thought I would ask you guys. 

image1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Rats not likely to attack your rabbits, we had ours in outside run for years with no problems and rats were a continual problem around the hen house next door. Make sure it's fox proof with heavy guage mesh not the thin chicken wire stuff which foxes can rip through with surprising ease - lost a cockerel that way a few years back. Not sure if rabbits will go through your tube though, they're not the brightest and don't take instruction well but no doubt someone will be along who has rabbits with high IQ's and good verbal skills!

• Like 1