Roundwood prices

Firewooddan

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

My defra approved  smokeless area ( nominally 5KW but punts out 8KW at full chat )  stove  has a 6" flue .  No problems with draw either . It pulls like a train .

Once upon a time not many moons ago building regs didn't allow a chimney for solid fuel to be less than 6" diameter.  It was to reduce the chance of blocking by soot and fumes coming back into the dwelling.   With cleaner burning stoves this is less of a risk so 5" flues are now allowed.

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Once upon a time not many moons ago building regs didn't allow a chimney for solid fuel to be less than 6" diameter.  It was to reduce the chance of blocking by soot and fumes coming back into the dwelling.   With cleaner burning stoves this is less of a risk so 5" flues are now allowed.

I had problems with a Rayburn I had years ago due to the 5" flue. That being said, I'm not convinced that Rayburns are especially efficient and I wouldn't recommend one. Old technology.

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

My house was actually built with a 7.5" clay liner in the flue . The 6" stainless one is a nice snug fit inside that .

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Stubby said:

My house was actually built with a 7.5" clay liner in the flue . The 6" stainless one is a nice snug fit inside that .

I always thought of you in one of those flint knapped cottages rather than a modern place.

I had our brick chimney lined with a cast high temperature concrete one 35 years ago. Its about 9 inches, sound but I don't think it was particularly well executed. I keep it that way rather than have a flexible liner as it means the chimney breast downstairs and upstairs acts as a heat store.

I am aware this means the flue gas velocity  slows from the stove outlet to the chimney.

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I always thought of you in one of those flint knapped cottages rather than a modern place.

I see myself in a flit cottage as well . The reality is  live in a late 60s built place . ?