Roundwood prices

Firewooddan

I am look to buy a 8 wheeler load of hardwood for firewood. I am in devon

I have been quoted £65 for mixed hardwoods, and £70 for ash per ton delivered plus vat. Is this about right?

How many m3 would i get roughly, and how many builders bags?

Someone else want to sell on a m3 stack measure, what would that work out to be?

Do you think the price of wood will go up or down with this brexit?

This will not be firewood for this winter but next, but want it sorted soon.

If you know of any for sale please message me, if cheaper even better

Edited by Firewooddan

That's a reasonable price, especially for a single load and about what we're paying in mid Wales. 

The wood price has been increasing steadily for the past 10 years and demand means it's very unlikely to drop regardless of Brexit.

I work on 1.8cube per ton but depending on species, log length etc it can be a bit either way. It's the equivalent of 2 90x90x90 builders bags.

I do wish that folk were more receptive to softwood firewood. I've loads of sawlog grade lawsons cypress coming to roadside near Tiverton at the moment and it's wonderful firewood. Really dense, dries quickly, smells beautiful and processes rapidly on account of it being ramrod straight. £55/t roadside. I'd rather process that than the inconsistently straight hardwood firewood that is typical!

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, Big J said:

I do wish that folk were more receptive to softwood firewood. I've loads of sawlog grade lawsons cypress coming to roadside near Tiverton at the moment and it's wonderful firewood. Really dense, dries quickly, smells beautiful and processes rapidly on account of it being ramrod straight. £55/t roadside. I'd rather process that than the inconsistently straight hardwood firewood that is typical!

Agreed,   Forestry Comm figures show that six out the seven hottest burning timbers are softwood, whats not to like.   Yet last year despite having ample stocks I did not sell any soft at all,  none.   

A

Just now, Alycidon said:

Agreed,   Forestry Comm figures show that six out the seven hottest burning timbers are softwood, whats not to like.   Yet last year despite having ample stocks I did not sell any soft at all,  none.   

A

That is depressing. I'd choose a softwood mix over hardwood any day. Pine, larch, douglas fir, cypress, hemlock are all brilliant firewoods. Even spruce in moderation is fine :D

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

That is depressing. I'd choose a softwood mix over hardwood any day. Pine, larch, douglas fir, cypress, hemlock are all brilliant firewoods. Even spruce in moderation is fine :D

Agreed 100%,  was burning some past its best Pop in the stove showroom late last week,  massive heat output.   I advise any wood is good wood except treated as long as its dry.   I burn anything at home and here ( not treated) just to show potentail stove buyers what a stove will do burning poorer grade fuel.

A

• Like 1

I burn a mix of larch and scots and when available a wee bit of syc plus any other stuff I can get, usually free, at home and have never had any issues at all. I supply my neighbours with the same mix of soft with the odd bit of hard and have never had a complaint. We need to educate the modern stove owner that if its dry and untreated the soft is the way forward.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

I burn a mix of larch and scots and when available a wee bit of syc plus any other stuff I can get, usually free, at home and have never had any issues at all. I supply my neighbours with the same mix of soft with the odd bit of hard and have never had a complaint. We need to educate the modern stove owner that if its dry and untreated the soft is the way forward.

I do my best,  the old 'pine puts tar in my chimney' appears on a regular basis,  its wet wood that does that or running the stove fully shut down.  One of the benefits of Eco Design stoves is that they are unable to be shut right down so that should decrease the creosote issue somewhat.

A

8 minutes ago, Alycidon said:

I do my best,  the old 'pine puts tar in my chimney' appears on a regular basis,  its wet wood that does that or running the stove fully shut down.  One of the benefits of Eco Design stoves is that they are unable to be shut right down so that should decrease the creosote issue somewhat.

A

And so it comes round again . Another thread extolling the virtuous of soft wood . This drum has been banged by me and others for a long time . Why is the message not getting through ? 

• Like 1