Starting out subcontracting - advice, thoughts?

Will Ingleton

Personally if I was starting out as a subby I would forget machines, trucks and chippers. Fill you face with tickets so you can work absolutely anywhere and travel light. Nothing worse on away work than having the worry of kit and its security.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Personally if I was starting out as a subby I would forget machines, trucks and chippers. Fill you face with tickets so you can work absolutely anywhere and travel light. Nothing worse on away work than having the worry of kit and its security.

Bob

Go anywhere, do anything.

• Like 2

I'd try looking at it if ur were the companies wot would u want to hire in???

To be fair if u were going down the railway route and the big company did hire in men and chippers u might be ok.

But railway work can be very boom and quite literally bust.

A company I worked for went tits up and had 40 plus men. Also both the main contractors on railways from 20 odd year ago have had financial hardships.

Also can be seasonal with bird nesting time and sometimes it just stops for yearrs

Mibbe different if u want to be working for big companies.

But I'd imagine if ur subbing to smaller companies the types offjobs they hired u in for would be big or multiple dismantles or Conny hedge bashing, which would still be a 1 chipper job but an extra tipper and tipper trailer would be massively handy.

If I've been in and about the industry in ur area u LL know the craic.

21 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

Go anywhere, do anything.

Pretty much :egg:`z , if being a subby is what floats your boat keep it simple and invest in yourself. Get all the tickets so you can take your saws anywhere and don't have to turn anything down.

Bob

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Pretty much :egg:`z , if being a subby is what floats your boat keep it simple and invest in yourself. Get all the tickets so you can take your saws anywhere and don't have to turn anything down.

Bob

Ay 

the best subbies have all there kit in a fiesta van, live free and work hard and love there job, 

The ones with a van or a chipper will usually be nicking/attempting to nick  your work in a year or two after harvesting your contacts 

• Like 1

The best subbies have all there kit in a fiesta van, live free and work hard and love there job, 

Made me remember  this guy when he arrives on the job at start of vid  just with with his chainsaw bag. ?

Edited by Stere