Starting out subcontracting - advice, thoughts?

Will Ingleton

Hello everyone, 

Myself and a friend are looking to start subbing as a two man team. We'd be happy to sub into domestic, conservation, forestry and utility work, possibly rail and highways further down the line. We're based on the Cornwall/ Devon border. Looking into equipping ourselves with a tracked chipper. 

I was wondering if any of you have done something similar, and what advice you might offer to us? Looking back, what would you have done differently to start out with? Many thanks in advance!

Will

On 20/08/2019 at 19:24, Will Ingleton said:

Hello everyone, 

Myself and a friend are looking to start subbing as a two man team. We'd be happy to sub into domestic, conservation, forestry and utility work, possibly rail and highways further down the line. We're based on the Cornwall/ Devon border. Looking into equipping ourselves with a tracked chipper. 

I was wondering if any of you have done something similar, and what advice you might offer to us? Looking back, what would you have done differently to start out with? Many thanks in advance!

Will

Obvious stuff like tidy kit and unmarked truck, turn up when you say and graft but don't under sell yourself too cheap. Good luck

• Like 2

The only thing I'd say is there many folk already at this in ur area??

Is there work for u??

Do most of the companies u intend to work for  not have there own chippers??

Possibly u will get more/ as much work just as Subby workers with no expensive chipper to pay and mantian and worry about it getting nicked

In my area almost all tree firms have there own chipper, or relatively cheap to hire considering how expensive they are to buy. 

Mibbe 2 workers/cutters/climbers with a tipper and trailer might be handier for companies than a chipper??

Also as is often said on here no point competing with loads off others already doing the same thing. Only way is undercutting and it just becomes a race to the bottom.

Unless ur really top notch great workers.

Possibly u might be more of a niche with a wee mini loader/skid steer, ie something others haven't got

On 20/08/2019 at 19:24, Will Ingleton said:

Hello everyone, 

Will

Is this a 50/50 split of profits with the chipper owned between you?

You will struggle to command a rate that will pay 2 chiefs anything more than a 'wage', unless you are particularly lucky with your clientel. In other words there will be zero room for any sort of growth. Thats the hard truth of the matter.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drinksloe said:

The only thing I'd say is there many folk already at this in ur area??

Is there work for u??

Do most of the companies u intend to work for  not have there own chippers??

Possibly u will get more/ as much work just as Subby workers with no expensive chipper to pay and mantian and worry about it getting nicked

In my area almost all tree firms have there own chipper, or relatively cheap to hire considering how expensive they are to buy. 

Mibbe 2 workers/cutters/climbers with a tipper and trailer might be handier for companies than a chipper??

Also as is often said on here no point competing with loads off others already doing the same thing. Only way is undercutting and it just becomes a race to the bottom.

Unless ur really top notch great workers.

Possibly u might be more of a niche with a wee mini loader/skid steer, ie something others haven't got

Cheers for your thoughts. Most people that we know of who we'd be interested in working for don't have a tracked chipper, so we had been looking at that as perhaps being a bit of a niche/ gain us some advantage. The firms that do have one are very large as tree companies go, and regularly have work (and quickly taking on big new contracts so need extra people regularly) which requires a tracked chipper. 

A mini digger has been another thought. Perhaps 1.5t. Being able to cut and stack, auger attachment for fencing etc. 

The quality of our work is high, and so to a point of course we'd hope that in itself would bring us work. 

Appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Will

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Is this a 50/50 split of profits with the chipper owned between you?

You will struggle to command a rate that will pay 2 chiefs anything more than a 'wage', unless you are particularly lucky with your clientel. In other words there will be zero room for any sort of growth. Thats the hard truth of the matter.

Hi Steve, thanks for your thoughts. Hard truths and outside perspective are what's needed- it's easy to get wrapped up in your own ideas. 

Yes it would be a 50/50 split. In terms of rates, do you say that based on our area, or is it just a general industry wide issue? I definitely understand what you're saying about being lucky with the clientel. May I ask if this is from your own personal experience doing similar? 

We're clearly very much in the realms of this being an idea, so this is very helpful in deciding whether it's something worth pursuing. Cheers!

Will

As a subby, you might be better both working for companies solo, you could cover more ground and make contacts quicker. Once in with a few companies you can then perhaps offer the two man team or use each other’s contacts to drum up more work. I’m based in plymouth and haven’t seen a market for two subbys and a tracked chipper, unless you’re gonna sub to the bigger firms like, Hi-Line ,Glendale , and the railway gangs. Good luck. Also Kev is based just over the bridge so he might be a useful contact.

If you are 2 guys with a truck and chipper why not just set up as a firm and do your own work.. 

I am sure you could sub to ground control or someone as I think that was their operating procedure. I personally would be worried about all my eggs in one basket but it seems to have worked well for some.

Or just freelance as individual climbers to local find and don't bother with the chipper.

Also if you and a friend going in to partnership, be wary that this regularly ends in tears.. 

1 hour ago, Alex O said:

As a subby, you might be better both working for companies solo, you could cover more ground and make contacts quicker. Once in with a few companies you can then perhaps offer the two man team or use each other’s contacts to drum up more work. I’m based in plymouth and haven’t seen a market for two subbys and a tracked chipper, unless you’re gonna sub to the bigger firms like, Hi-Line ,Glendale , and the railway gangs. Good luck. Also Kev is based just over the bridge so he might be a useful contact.

We did have in mind sorting out work with Hi Line, which would certainly warrant the tracked chipper. But we don't have any intention of putting our eggs in one basket, and a piece of kit like that would need to be regularly paying for itself and earning it's keep. This is very much an idea at the moment and we're looking into other avenues of work too. Thanks for your input!