ART rope guide SRT

TTownsend

So just gone and brought the chicane to go along with my Zig Zag and I love it, asking myself why I haven’t gone over to SRT sooner.

For the time being I’m just using it for access then switching over to DRT to work the tree. I use the ART rope guide for my anchor point and my question is whether I’m able to base tie one leg of my rope whilst going through the rope guide and SRT up the other leg of rope (then switching back to DRT when at the desired point) ?

I did this after lunch today to make things quicker and easier but then had the sudden thought whether not the rope guide is compatible with that set up. I can’t see why not but wanted some opinions.

Cheers

3 hours ago, TTownsend said:

Because one leg of the rope is tied off and being used static rather than being used DRT and the rope moving ?

Yeah basically. If your climbing leg of line is taking your weight than the tied off leg will have the same weight applied, so double at the pulley. Same as a basic rigging setup

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I use the rope guide for my srt anchor as well. I pass the rope through the rope guide as normal, splice going through pulley with retrievable clip on the other side. I make sure my splice is on the ground and tie my srt device on that side. The side with the retrieval clip I tie an alpine butterfly. And place a carabiner in the loop incase of accidental slippage of the knot. This knot then gets jammed against the device allowing me to climb on the rope guide with only 1x my weight on it.

When I want to retrieve, simply remove all hardware from the spliced end, put the retrievable ball on the splice. Pull on the alpine butterfly side of the line until the splice goes through the pulley and pulls out the rope guide. Very simple but hard to describe in writing. I’ll try and get a pic.

• Like 1

I use the rope guide for my srt anchor as well. I pass the rope through the rope guide as normal, splice going through pulley with retrievable clip on the other side. I make sure my splice is on the ground and tie my srt device on that side. The side with the retrieval clip I tie an alpine butterfly. And place a carabiner in the loop incase of accidental slippage of the knot. This knot then gets jammed against the device allowing me to climb on the rope guide with only 1x my weight on it.
When I want to retrieve, simply remove all hardware from the spliced end, put the retrievable ball on the splice. Pull on the alpine butterfly side of the line until the splice goes through the pulley and pulls out the rope guide. Very simple but hard to describe in writing. I’ll try and get a pic.

As the retrieval clip is under constant pressure from the Alpine has it caused wear as it isn’t normally under that kind of pressure ?

Update to regards to the ART rope guide Basal anchor setup I mentioned above, I managed to get hold of ART and they said the setup was fine and the rope guide would be fine.
  • Like 1

As the retrieval clip is under constant pressure from the Alpine has it caused wear as it isn’t normally under that kind of pressure ?

Update to regards to the ART rope guide Basal anchor setup I mentioned above, I managed to get hold of ART and they said the setup was fine and the rope guide would be fine.

No I haven’t had any issues with it. It seems to fit fine against the pulley. The advantages of this is I can go through as many redirects as I want and I can still retrieve the rope guide. It doesn’t have to be a straight in line pull.

That’s interesting that ART have said that. I thought they would stay away from something that could potentially double the weight on it.
In saying that, I suppose I must be rated for rescue.

I do love the rope guide.