What3words

Mick Dempsey

Nice idea in its infancy Mick but I can imagine if it gains popularity on a commercial basis it will soon use up all the permutations of three word combinations , probably end up going to four,five six or more. GPS coordinates are still as good as it gets.

Bob

Yes it was in the news 2 days ago, someone getting lost. 

And here

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

How three words - "weekend", "foggy" and "earphones" - rescued a mother and child after a car crash.

Edit, and peeps in 3rd world countries, that have no postcode are using it

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

About four billion people worldwide live in places that have no proper address, but a UK-based small...

Edited by Wedgebanger
Edit
  • Like 1

A haulier bringing out a pallet to our warehouse last week showed me this. We don't have a postcode on the premises so getting deliveries can be problematic. Yes it works, but I struggled to see what the difference was from using a dropped pin location, especially as it then references back to Google maps anyway.

This is interesting, as nepia says all the world is already mapped and 3 words are enough.

Does the same job as a GPS location but less error prone for humans to write and copy. I'm intrigued how they have handled homophones though, red/read could be miles apart so have to be careful when spoken.

It's an ingenious system. I don't think there is a single house in our postcode that has a number so I wish delivery drivers and minicabs would start using it. Great if you want to meet your mates at a non-urban location too, just text them the three words.

Did occur to me as well that linking it to a panic function on your phone would be useful. Automatically texting 'I have fallen out of a tree / chopped my leg off with a MS880 at the following location: Flange-Otter-Bedsock  Blood Group: Rebellion IPA'