New hilux invincible or navara tekna

Elmsdown Forestry

45k for the Amarok is mental money for a work vehicle. If was looking to spend that much would go ranger raptor with the new 10 speed box, but at 49k still a joke to be trashed in the wood. Apparently the x class with the 250bhp engine is brilliant and Merc have ironed out the faults from Nissan. 

Raptor isn’t much of a work vehicle either. The suspension mods come at the price of pay load. Only carries about 600 kilos in the rear tub.

34 minutes ago, lux said:

Raptor isn’t much of a work vehicle either. The suspension mods come at the price of pay load. Only carries about 600 kilos in the rear tub.

That loss of payload could have greater implications than just loss of payload too! 

Hector will be sniffing around trying to deprive honest, hard working tradespersons of tax relief too - bastard! 

WWW.TTRBARNES.COM

With the space and functionality to be loaded with tools and equipment during the week, but the ability to...

I’m pretty sure the Ranger and big engined Amarok aren’t allowed to do 70 on dual carriageways, and can only do 50 on A-roads. It is something to do with their unladen weight (or weight in service possibly) being above a certain figure, which classifies them as a different ‘type’ of vehicle (they aren’t the same as the dual-purpose pickups you possibly think you are buying). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkeybusiness said:

I’m pretty sure the Ranger and big engined Amarok aren’t allowed to do 70 on dual carriageways, and can only do 50 on A-roads. It is something to do with their unladen weight (or weight in service possibly) being above a certain figure, which classifies them as a different ‘type’ of vehicle (they aren’t the same as the dual-purpose pickups you possibly think you are buying). 

That's the case for all pickups

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Not if their Mass in Service is below 2040kg. My Navara is 2023kg according to the V5, so can legally (and physically) go everywhere at a million miles an hour, unlike its fatter competitors!...

Fair enough. I was under the impression that it was determined by their classification as a commercial vehicle. I'm pretty sure my Berlingo is regarded as a van (not a car derived van) and as such is limited to 50/60/70 technically. 

8 minutes ago, Big J said:

Fair enough. I was under the impression that it was determined by their classification as a commercial vehicle. I'm pretty sure my Berlingo is regarded as a van (not a car derived van) and as such is limited to 50/60/70 technically. 

I think you are correct there.

It’s a strange ‘dual purpose vehicle’ loophole, but the mass in service is one of the determining factors, and is the main reason I’ve not gone for one of the bigger engined pickups as they are all legally too heavy (the twin turbo Navara is fast though, only the big engined Amarok is quicker IME).

The reduced speed limits can make a significant difference though, as one of my lads’ found when stopped at 86mph on a dual carriageway in one of our vans. He mistakenly thought he was legally allowed to do 70 - it turns out that 26mph over the speed limit is taken rather seriously when it comes to a fine and points (it was a court job!)... Another mate got done at 60 on an A-road in his Peugeot Partner van by a copper who knew the rules!

21 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

I think you are correct there.

It’s a strange ‘dual purpose vehicle’ loophole, but the mass in service is one of the determining factors, and is the main reason I’ve not gone for one of the bigger engined pickups as they are all legally too heavy (the twin turbo Navara is fast though, only the big engined Amarok is quicker IME).

The reduced speed limits can make a significant difference though, as one of my lads’ found when stopped at 86mph on a dual carriageway in one of our vans. He mistakenly thought he was legally allowed to do 70 - it turns out that 26mph over the speed limit is taken rather seriously when it comes to a fine and points (it was a court job!)... Another mate got done at 60 on an A-road in his Peugeot Partner van by a copper who knew the rules!

It's all very silly really, as it's an arbitrary line drawing exercise where the characteristics of the vehicle have little bearing on the laws applicable to it. For instance, I think my Berlingo, fully loaded, weighs less than a Landrover Discovery 4 empty. Much smaller too, but restricted to lower limits. 

All daft, if you ask me.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1