Planting trees to sequester carbon emissions

Suppose more would have to go vegan to free up some agri land for trees  as atm alot trees still being felled for agri grazing globally

Locally I'd happy be to see all upland   UK re forested I don't think the farmers would be too plz'd though but there only in buisness atm due to subsidies.

29 minutes ago, richy_B said:

That's some interesting data. 

So something more akin to a large scale move away from land inefficient agricultural activities such as sheep farming to woodland could deliver the best target results. 

This analysis might be of interest to you and the OP;

Long Term Carbon Account for Forestry at Eskdalemuir

It looked at the long term carbon impact of a change of land use from upland sheep farming to conifer forestry in a Scottish farm.

10 minutes ago, Lucan said:

This analysis might be of interest to you and the OP;

Long Term Carbon Account for Forestry at Eskdalemuir

It looked at the long term carbon impact of a change of land use from upland sheep farming to conifer forestry in a Scottish farm.

Nice find!

That's my bedtime reading sorted.

Suppose more would have to go vegan to free up some agri land for trees  as atm alot trees still being felled for agri grazing globally

Locally I'd happy be to see all upland   UK re forested I don't think the farmers would be too plz'd though but there only in buisness atm due to subsidies.
I'm not too convinced by the vegan thing myself. A lot of vegan products are flown in and thus are incuring a lot of air miles which are obviously not great for the environment. Thinking of monoculture cropping which is savage for biodiversity.

Not all farming systems are destroying the environment, their is quite a bit of hype about regenerative farming at the moment which focuses on biodiversity and working with nature rather than against it.

Too much fake news with regards to uk farming with US feed lot facts being quoted. Not saying all farmers are great but their is some good stuff going on.

I thought that aforesting the uplands would be a good idea but, thinking more round me, you would loose the heather moorland which is a habitat in itself which would presumably have knock on effects.

Silvopasture is the pinnacle. Getting the grazing right with in fiels trees i think is where the most carbon can be sequestered.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Stere said:

I thought farmers were only in business atm due to people still insisting on eating food.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bolt said:

I thought farmers were only in business atm due to people still insisting on eating food.

If only!

Think we need to go the way the Kiwis did and stop farming subsidies- if there's no financial back up, then maybe we can get back down to smaller farms, with more people managing the soil in a more regenerative way.

I'd use 'sustainable' but why would we want to sustain an already massively degraded environment? 

Planting trees is good, but not enough - there's more that needs to be taken into account, especially on agricultural land. The worst tool man invented was the plough - but the farming industry in the UK is full of old-timers who just do what they've always done - essentially the same thing since WWII when the subsidies were introduced. 

Edited by wendholtr
  • Like 1

If only!

Think we need to go the way the Kiwis did and stop farming subsidies- if there's no financial back up, then maybe we can get back down to smaller farms, with more people managing the soil in a more regenerative way.

I'd use 'sustainable' but why would we want to sustain an already massively degraded environment? 

Planting trees is good, but not enough - there's more that needs to be taken into account, especially on agricultural land. The worst tool man invented was the plough - but the farming industry in the UK is full of old-timers who just do what they've always done - essentially the same thing since WWII when the subsidies were introduced. 
Lots of momentum now with regenerative ag.

Change is on the horizon with regards to payments for farmers.

The conservatives are also making it possible for the land owner to get the payments and not the person farming the land. Make of that of you will. The rich looking after the rich imo.

If you stop payments then you run the risk of people going for max production. Hedges out, no margins etc so could be counter productive to the environment.