Best thing to seal gap between pipe and register plate?

Hi all

I've got a gap between the metal register plate and the chimney pipe from my stove, between 2mm and 20mm in size. I've also got some fire rope and some high temp (300C) silicone! Is this a good way to fill the gap, or is there a better one? I'm guessing the flue's not likely to get above 300C on the outside? (Single wall flue pipe IIRC, too hot to touch but not ludicrously hot). The flue is lined, but there's cold air leaking in outside the liner and through the gap...

Thanks.

My last stove had rope round it, my current stove pipe is snuggly cut, prob 1mm all round and just open, chimney / stove has a liner fit, so dont get any draft as such from chimney as liner is coupled to keeper plate under my chimney pot and mortared on.

Can you not cut a more accurate register plate then just put a tiny bead of silicone round like you were suggesting?

Measure size of pipe. Get hole cut that size in a 1ft square of steel, cut in half. Drill a few holes and fix with self tapper screws to underside of register plate a bit of sealer or rope and jobs done.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, htb said:

Measure size of pipe. Get hole cut that size in a 1ft square of steel, cut in half. Drill a few holes and fix with self tapper screws to underside of register plate a bit of sealer or rope and jobs done.

Thats probably the best solution,  Poujoulat do a ring that fits over the pipe but it only fits their pipe and the pipe needs to be removed to install it.

Flue pipes will often excede 300 C,  if using a silicone type sealant then there are grades that handle 600 C and 1200 C.

A

• 2 weeks later...