Teething problems with my woodland mill

gobbypunk

Hi mate not sure it was going ok then got a little tight and next thing it’s like in the photo I think the log may have gotten tight on the frame ,another thing though how tight should the mill head be on the uprights mine is quite loose so you can rattle it about is this right.

Thanks Mark 

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi mate not sure it was going ok then got a little tight and next thing it’s like in the photo I think the log may have gotten tight on the frame ,another thing though how tight should the mill head be on the uprights mine is quite loose so you can rattle it about is this right.

Thanks Mark 

No mark the blade needs to be set with a torque wrench,Look in the book which is located in the rear pod with the gloves ect,I think from memory its 32 Nm but will say in the book,Make sure there is plenty of water flowing on the blade when cutting so to keep it cool,Fit the blade back on as should not be blunt from use yet and when its fitted and torqued correctly just spin the 2 wheels and they should be nice and free to turn.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gobbypunk said:

Thanks Mark 

The head can be adjusted via the cables on the pulleys so when you wind it up and down to set the cutting depth it should not have any play there.

Hi guys right I had not done anything no adjusting I was cutting some yew the first cut and it started ok then got a bit tight but I think the log may have knocked into the guide rollers and just knocked the band off but then on opening the doors ai think the tracking may also have been out so watched the vid on blade changing and tracking the band was a used one as the mill is a used one I have another band so I will set it all up and have another go but will have to wait until Monday now .

Thanks everyone 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gobbypunk said:

Hi guys right I had not done anything no adjusting I was cutting some yew the first cut and it started ok then got a bit tight but I think the log may have knocked into the guide rollers and just knocked the band off but then on opening the doors ai think the tracking may also have been out so watched the vid on blade changing and tracking the band was a used one as the mill is a used one I have another band so I will set it all up and have another go but will have to wait until Monday now .

Thanks everyone 

Thought it was a new saw mark so when you reset it all you should be fine.

Tracking takes a bit of getting used to but it's not too bad, just remember not to track the other side unless you talk to them first. 

We had a problem with blades coming off and it turned out to be oil /grease on the new ones we had to wipe off.