Tractor issue

richy_B

Hello all,

Had an issue with the Same today (Dorado 86). Stop light came on as well as flashing 'MEM' . The MEM indicates memory for the engine rpm, as you can set an engine speed and hold down MEM and it saves it. The manual says the light is either on or off though, not flashing - which I assume means trouble. The manual just says contact SDF when the stop light is on. If I turn it off and on again the MEM comes back after a few seconds and the STOP after 20 seconds or so.20190812_162111.thumb.jpg.b7cd5e0bd48830f99712e94ab148deb6.jpg

Only a mile from base so I got it home, apart from the warning lights it all seemed absolutely normal. 

Any thoughts? 

Bugger... thought is sounds like some electrical wizardry so was going to suggest disconnect battery for a while to see if it resets itself..... Still think its something electrical or a fault with a sensor / ecu?

This is why i hate electrics

Faulty wheel sensor? rpm sensor? some silly magic eye on the clutch pedal? 

Clutching at straws here.

Local farmer had a deutz that wouldnt move..... turned out one of the lads came off the clutch pedal to hard and it came up a mm or two more and it wouldnt move as the magic eye couldnt see it lol

Edited by swinny

1 hour ago, richy_B said:

It's a fairly 'basic' tractor but I am thinking electrical issue. The 'memory' is some kind of engine speed regulator so electric sensor. I've got not idea where to start on that though. 

I’d ring a dealer personally, it’ll save you money in the long run even if they just diagnose it.

• Like 2

Yeah, I will tomorrow. SDF dealers are pretty far flung unfortunately. 

EDIT.  My closest SDF dealer is having a look into it but by their own admission havent had much dealings with a dorado.  In the meantime I managed to find a workshop manual. My fault code is M10 - apparently 'second wheel speed sensor' has issues (faulty or connection). The speedo is going mental as well,  at stationary it is was displaying loads of different speeds so this tallies.  I've going to try and find the unit on the tractor and see it is connected properly etc whilst I wait for the dealer to come back to me.  

A wheel speed sensor should be on the rear axle somewhere shouldn't it? Assume some sort of non-descript probe with a lead attached.   

Edited by richy_B

• 2 weeks later...

I've started the thread so I'll finish it!

Spoke with my 'closest' dealer. They didn't have any experience of the Dorado and were a bit reluctant to get involved. As per my previous post I diagnosed it as a speed sensor. I didnt know where that was not did the dealer but they were able to send me a picture of the sensor from their workshop/dealer manuals. 

From that I found the sensor and the problem. Looks like the sensor wiring had taken a hit. Wire had an obvious kink.

I stripped the outer wrap to reveal the 3 inner wires, hoping it was a wire break. It was a wire break on one strand but annoyingly it had pulled out right at the sensor so I couldn't repair. So new sensor....

Dealer said they don't make the sensor anymore so it needs a new version, which wasnt compatable straight up. It needed a mini ECU to be added in and all wired up. They gave me a quote of £380 parts and approximately £800 fitting plus VAT. Ouch.

So a bit of googling - found an brand new original in the midlands, fitted it, refilled transmission and tested. Perfect! £170 and 1 hour of my time. 

What Ive learnt : There are two sensors on the transmission that relate to engine input. One I believe is hydraulic and apparently can't be replaced. There is also a electric one (magnetic).  This is the one I replaced. They are referred to as wheel speed sensor but it might be a translation thing - it is a RPM sensors relating to the input engine speed. I don't know if they government anything else or just provide the driver with engine information, ie speeds, pto speed.

The fault is limits the engine rpm to 1800. 

Until the next breakdown, happy tractoring! 

20190816_143636.jpg

Edited by richy_B
  • Like 6