A Common Sense approach to Training?

The biggest problem that no course will ever help is u simply can't train stupid.

Dunno if education system or majority becoming more urbanised but seems to be a massive lack off common sense in a higher % of population than ever before. And I think social media/computers only makes it worse.

Let's be honest here felling trees is hardly rocket science

Mibee it should go back to how it used to be not allowed to do 32/med trees within 2yrs off doing 30/31.

U can learn an awful lot by f##king up on small timber 1st, make the same mistakes on big timber and never going to end well.

• Like 3

Good idea.

I had a bloke work for me,he had his "large tree felling ticket".Couldnt cut a straight gob,sharpen a saw or used wedges.When I asked how many large trees did you fell on your course?

"Four" he replied.

So I could had let him loose in old growth Sikta and if he got himself hurt or worse gotten off scott free.

• Sad 1

Personally I think any one entering the industry should be on a 6 months apprenticeship before doing any tickets and have saw use under supervision from a already trained operator within there sponser.. it would save some people a lot of money and they knock off expectations that this industry is all about flash gear and adventure as Instagram and social media badly shows and that it’s really about hard physical back breaking work... it would probably save a lot of employers from complete time wasters who are nothing but a danger to them selfs and others...
On the subject of FISA how can they dictate any thing on training? All there nptc trainers have to be FISA approved this isn’t helpful in any way at all, just more jobs for the boys.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MattyF said:

I think any one entering the industry should be on a 6 months apprenticeship before doing any tickets

6 months! Humbug.

I think I'd done about six years, as a climber, before getting any tickets... I even worked for a FTC instructor for a few years without any. 

Be interesting to compare accident/injury rates between 1985 and now. 

On 25/09/2019 at 07:12, MattyF said:

Personally I think any one entering the industry should be on a 6 months apprenticeship before doing any tickets and have saw use under supervision from a already trained operator within there sponser.. it would save some people a lot of money and they knock off expectations that this industry is all about flash gear and adventure as Instagram and social media badly shows and that it’s really about hard physical back breaking work... it would probably save a lot of employers from complete time wasters who are nothing but a danger to them selfs and others...
On the subject of FISA how can they dictate any thing on training? All there nptc trainers have to be FISA approved this isn’t helpful in any way at all, just more jobs for the boys.

This is totally wrong. No NPTC Assessors or LANTRA Instructors have to be FISA approved or even a member. LANTRA did an external Technical Evaluation on some of their Forestry based Instructors to deliver refresher training that FISA would recognise.

No one has to be a member of FISA, just compliant with tickets if working in sites that have signed up to the FISA agreement, FC sites for example.

Tell you wot. It takes me five minutes watching him get out of truck, prepare his saw an get going to tell me if he has a days work in him and knows what he is up to. Tickets? Fisa? Sorry ( and i am up to date on the industry  an not a red bull fiend) k

• Like 1

Tell you wot. It takes me five minutes watching him get out of truck, prepare his saw an get going to tell me if he has a days work in him and knows what he is up to. Tickets? Fisa? Sorry ( and i am up to date on the industry  an not a red bull fiend) k
What's wrong with red bull ? I like it [emoji6]
  • Haha 1