Lawnmower for Domestic Use

Jaydub

On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2019 at 09:14, monkeybusiness said:

Which hedge cutter have you got? I’m contemplating one - they do a 30 inch with a single 18v battery but have also got a shorter one with double battery power. I’m loath to buy the 18v if they are about to launch a 36v 30 inch, but would be grateful of feedback on whichever you have. 

I bought the cheap one

WWW.MAKITAUK.COM

Product

Run it on a 5amp single. Its very light and quiet. Great for quick 'tidy up' trims during the growing season. I'm using it on privet, pyracantha, beech. Not liking leylandii so much. Don't think it would cope too well on end of season hard cuts and old growth.

Shit hot tools for the money,I have the impact driver with a 5 amp battery and pumps in 4 inch screws like fresh air,Over 500 screws per charge and pisses all over my milwaukee 18v
I've started to buy the new ryobi gear. It may be cheap but it does the job for me ( hospital maintenance), but still got my metabo gear for heavy duty work. Only problem I have now is 4 different types of battery to buy.

I've started to buy the new ryobi gear. It may be cheap but it does the job for me ( hospital maintenance), but still got my metabo gear for heavy duty work. Only problem I have now is 4 different types of battery to buy.
ROVER.EBAY.COM

Features Brushless motor for less maintenance, power and low noise Powered by 2 x 5.0Ah batteries for extended run-time for up to 800m2 (1/5 acre) 2 x 18v battery well (36V output) to protect batteries and fits XR FLEXVOLT batteries and an electronic dashboard to check each battery charge status 51cm metal deck (powder coated stamped steel) for durability providing a 48cm cutting capacity to cover more area Ergonomic push handle design allows easy and comfortable steering and robust, lightweight aluminium handles Power actuation button for easy to turn on / off and secondary safety switch for added safety 55l heavy duty mesh fabric grass collection bag for cut free lawn aesthetics. Easy to remove up through the handles and stores flat 5 height settings lever (25, 38, 57, 74, 86mm).

DeWalt battery mower
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/08/2019 at 23:32, Logit said:

EGO battery mowers are getting good reviews, worth a look. Powerful 56V battery + motors and the batteries can be used in all of their machines e.g. blowers, strimmers, hedge cutters etc. They also do a multi tool. The latest motors are brushless so no brushes to wear out and apparently more efficient than motors with brushes. Fast charging as well. YouTube has plenty of reviews.

Having had a look at the latest generation cordless mowers, I am impressed.  Having thought I would go for a petrol engined rear roller mower, I am now favouring a cordless Ego or Stihl four wheeled mower.  The Egos come with a very impressive five year unconditional warranty on the mower with three years on the battery, so probably favouring them over the Stihl.  Mountfield also do a cordless rear roller mower, which I haven't entirely ruled out but is probably a bit more money than I would really want to spend on a Mountfield.  Might be being a bit of  a badge snob though!

Assuming you're thinking about the self propelled versions.  EGO has a motor for blades, and a motor for drive, so you can drive it along without the blades running, and variable speed. = Simples.

STIHL (Formally Viking) Has a motor for blades, a drive belt,  a gearbox and clutch cable same as the smaller petrol models, so blade has to be running to make it drive. + Fixed speed  + Really uncomfortable control levers.

EGO is a no brainer in comparison, not cheap but you get a great cordless mower, plus imo they look really cool, unlike the STIHL. ;)

57 minutes ago, lurkalot said:

Assuming you're thinking about the self propelled versions.  EGO has a motor for blades, and a motor for drive, so you can drive it along without the blades running, and variable speed. = Simples.

EGO is a no brainer in comparison, not cheap but you get a great cordless mower, plus imo they look really cool, unlike the STIHL. ;)

Smallish lawn area, so thinking of either the 42cm push or the 47cm s/p.  Hadn't realised you could drive the mower without the blades running.  42cm probably better suited to the size of lawn area, but the 20 minute run time is a bit of a worry, as I reckon it takes me 30 mins to mow about 140m2 with my 46cm petrol mower.

The Stihl's look a little less rugged, but they do give you the option of selecting which battery and charger you want.  I can take their 41cm mower as a manual or s/p with my choice of battery and charger, so not entirely ruled them out.

Definitely favouring the Ego option and one of my local dealers will have both the 42cm and 47cm options in for this weekend, so should be making a final choice on Saturday hopefully.

I am having great success with the Stiga 500 series of cordless mowers. New for the 2019 season this mower has exceeded the expectations of myself and my customers.

The  6 model range all use steel decks that have been proven over time on the Stiga petrol powered models. These sturdy and stiff decks have stood up to the vibration and stress from petrol engines for many years, so the smooth running 1500w electric motors will cause no problems to these decks at all.

Power is supplied by two compact 48v batteries that discharge together, and evenly. These batteries are compact enough that one can be used on its own in the 500 series hand held machines.

There are only self propelled models in the range, and each has the ability to operate the variable speed forward motion independently of the blade. Great for driving the mower under power over loose paths etc.

My customers are reporting run times of well over an hour when used with 2 x5ah batteries and around an hour when used with 2 x 4ah batteries. 

A Combi 43 SQ DAE  (42cm) mower currently sells at £419.

Two 4ah batteries  at £119 each will add £238 to the price with a further £29 required for a standard charger.

Total price £686, not the cheapest battery mower out there, but it is a properly built, steel bodied mower with a 60 litre grassbag, side discharge option and mulch kit included.

Well worth a look at your local Stiga dealer

The Stiga looks good, although it was our local Stiga dealer pushing the Egos and the only Stigas I saw there were Atcos!

I have a slight curved ball as I have found a one year old John Deere R47V for £300 locally. Going to check that out and the Egos in the morning.

Checked out the JD R47V this morning and it seemed like a good buy so went for it.  No angst about battery life now, although obviously higher cost of ownership.  Thanks for all your advice, even if I didn't put it to use in quite the way I was intending.