Lawnmower for Domestic Use

Jaydub

I need to replace a 15 year old 18" Mountfield 4 wheel rotary mower, which will no longer free wheel.

It's for domestic use only and we have three areas of lawn which only amount to approx 120 square metres in total, so thinking of going down in size to a 16" or 17" mower.

As the lawns are small, I have a lot of edges to mow and I seem to manage to scalp the lawn edges on a fairly regular basis, so thinking of getting a roller machine this time.

I am buying on the basis of ease of use and longevity, with cost being a secondary factor and think I have got down to a shortlist of three machines (I think!!):

• Hayter Harrier 41 Autodrive
  • Honda HRX 426 QX
  • Stihl RM 454 VR

This is only for home use so the grass will never be more than 5cm long (first cut of the year) and usually significantly shorter.  I never intend to mow in the rain, but can't rule out having to mow when the grass is damp, so need a machine that won't clog up with damp grass.

I know this is really a professional forum, but does anybody have any experience of the above mowers or care to give me a recommendation of which machine is likely to give the best longevity?

The old mower is 17 years old (just found the June 2002 receipt) and needs a new gearbox according to our local mower dealer.  It's usable in the short term but the cost of the repair is far more than the mower is worth.

I have to admit I hadn't even considered a battery mower, but will have a look as another option.

Jack and Conor, thanks for your input.

• Like 1

EGO battery mowers are getting good reviews, worth a look. Powerful 56V battery + motors and the batteries can be used in all of their machines e.g. blowers, strimmers, hedge cutters etc. They also do a multi tool. The latest motors are brushless so no brushes to wear out and apparently more efficient than motors with brushes. Fast charging as well. YouTube has plenty of reviews.

• Like 1

If you have got makita drills and thus already some batteries & the charger already they do a range of battery mowesr also

No first hand experience how good they are though the reviews seem positive (but all in german) Think this is there top cordless model. Says lawns up to 800m3

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find great deals for Makita DLM460Z Twin 18V/36V LXT Cordless 460mm Brushless Lawn Mower Body Only. Shop...

I do have a  makitas cordless hegde trimmer though and its very  good so far.

Edited by Stere

20 minutes ago, Stere said:

If you have got makita drills and thus already some batteries & the charger already they do a range of battery mowesr also

No first hand experience how good they are though the reviews seem positive (but all in german) Think this is there top cordless model. Says lawns up to 800m3

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Find great deals for Makita DLM460Z Twin 18V/36V LXT Cordless 460mm Brushless Lawn Mower Body Only. Shop...

Which hedge cutter have you got? I’m contemplating one - they do a 30 inch with a single 18v battery but have also got a shorter one with double battery power. I’m loath to buy the 18v if they are about to launch a 36v 30 inch, but would be grateful of feedback on whichever you have. 

Mountfield SP53. Often on offer at Screwfix. Honda engine. It's been more reliable than the Viking 655 or Etesia RCMB46 we used to use (both were wank).

I've never looked back since buying the Mountfield- simple and reliable for semi professional work. I didn't get more than six months of light work out of the Viking (and especially the Etesia) without problems, but the Mountfields are both great two years on.

WWW.SCREWFIX.COM

Order online at Screwfix.com. Powered by the Honda GCV170 Autochoke 167cc engine. Designed to provide an...

Edited by doobin

2 hours ago, Stere said:

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Does anyone know if De-Walt batteries are interchangeable with Makita, they look very similar?

I've a few De-Walt power tools and batteries and don't want to be buying into another charging system, but not aware of De-Walt doing lawnmowers.