going rate for a groundie?

DTaylor

On 10/08/2019 at 10:01, DTaylor said:

So whats the going hourly/day rate for a groundie nowadays? Got no idea what to pay someone.

Depends on how limp under the cap they are. A punctual, reliable kick arse van driving non clock watching job minded groundie £150ish, a non driving disinterested half asleep sicknote text addict that`s just crawled out of some crispy bed sheets is sub minimum wage.

Bob

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

38 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Depends on how limp under the cap they are. A punctual, reliable kick arse van driving non clock watching job minded groundie £150ish, a non driving disinterested half asleep sicknote text addict that`s just crawled out of some crispy bed sheets is sub minimum wage.

Bob

I hate it when you mince your words b0D.

• Haha 3

I don't think anyone's ever given a clear and concise answer to this question, why are some tree surgeons on such poor money? Virtually every subby/freelancer of any trade is on £200/day around here, apart from tree surgeons by the sound of it. I've just subbed a general builder in to do a job for me, "what's ya rate fella, shouldn't have bothered asking really", "2 a day, take it or leave it", I took it.

11 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I don't think anyone's ever given a clear and concise answer to this question, why are some tree surgeons on such poor money? Virtually every subby/freelancer of any trade is on £200/day around here, apart from tree surgeons by the sound of it. I've just subbed a general builder in to do a job for me, "what's ya rate fella, shouldn't have bothered asking really", "2 a day, take it or leave it", I took it.

Is it poor money though :egg:? A lad on £150 is going to cost his employer north of £200 by the time he adds in all of the bullshit associated with employing someone, stick a truck, insurances, admin and kit into the equation and the two man arb team rates are getting on for £450 a day before any profit. Only so much a client will pay for this type of work which ultimately reflects in the wages.

80d

• Like 3

Is it poor money though :egg:? A lad on £150 is going to cost his employer north of £200 by the time he adds in all of the bullshit associated with employing someone, stick a truck, insurances, admin and kit into the equation and the two man arb team rates are getting on for £450 a day before any profit. Only so much a client will pay for this type of work which ultimately reflects in the wages.

80d

This is the sad truth.
[emoji51]
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/08/2019 at 22:44, eggsarascal said:

I don't think anyone's ever given a clear and concise answer to this question, why are some tree surgeons on such poor money? Virtually every subby/freelancer of any trade is on £200/day around here, apart from tree

by the sound of it. I've just subbed a general builder in to do a job for me, "what's ya rate fella, shouldn't have bothered asking really", "2 a day, take it or leave it", I took it.

Because money spent on Trees is money home owners don't really want to spend.They don't perceive to be getting anything for their expenditure.Put new Wiring/Plumbing/landscape a garden and viola! Your property value increases by at least 2X the amount expended.Reduce the tree in the garden and it matters not a jott.  

On top of that you have a proliferation of companies almost everywhere,when the domestic market gets crowded they take their undercutting into the commercial sector,

In addition general treework is not very difficult,I use about 20% of what I know on 80% of all the work I do.I cannot get away with charging double for the remaining tricky stuff or I will loose it to the company that takes longer but does it for 30% less than me. 

Plumbers/builders/gasfitters all have to sign off their work where I live,if you don't have a certificate showing who did any work,it down grades the value on your house.Insurance won't pay out either.It used to be the case of the home owner being able to do the work and then paying a sparky to connect up the circuit to the mains and sign off the work for a fee,now all companies refuse to do this as they are forcing you to comply with their wishes.I just paid £1400 to get a single room wired up.Took two drippy buggers all day,I could have done it alone in half that time....

• Like 3