Towing Ifor trailer with tractor

N1ck

Right, I want to tow the alpine on my ifor flatbed trailer behind the Valtra for short journeys between sites on the road, but still want to be able to tow it behind the Hilux for longer journeys. Options are

1. Swap pick up hitch with clevis bar and replace the 50mm ball hitch on the ifor trailer with a ring hitch. What weight are drop in clevis pins rated to tow? Are there different diameter ring hitches, would it be compatible with a standard ball and pin hitch on the Hilux? 

2. Fit a pin with 50mm ball to the clevis bar, but I can't find any that are rated to tow more than 2000kg

3. Get a 3pt linkage tow hitch with 50mm ball, this is arguably the best option as towing height can be adjusted, but it is not legal on the road! 

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I just use a stumpy tow ball fitted to Clevis bar. It says 2000kg but there’s more steel involved then the Dixon Bates which is 3500kg on my landy so I’m not worried. The only problem you might find is that the drawbar on the tractor is higher than truck plus the fact that there is no suspension on a tractor so harsher on the ifor hitch and more weight transferred to rear axle of trailer.

32 minutes ago, N1ck said:

2. Fit a pin with 50mm ball to the clevis bar, but I can't find any that are rated to tow more than 2000kg

Is this because most are machined from a bar and hence don't have sufficient hardness. In the old Days balls rated for 3500kg were stamped with a D and I think this related to hardness as well as strength.

Anyway why not use a standard ball hitch with twin bolt mounting onto a block of steel  which fits snugly without movement into the tractor clevis, secured by the standard pin?

10 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Is this because most are machined from a bar and hence don't have sufficient hardness. In the old Days balls rated for 3500kg were stamped with a D and I think this related to hardness as well as strength.

Anyway why not use a standard ball hitch with twin bolt mounting onto a block of steel  which fits snugly without movement into the tractor clevis, secured by the standard pin?

The D denotes the dynamic load limits.

Ring / ball combo units can be down rated if the pin runs in the middle of the ball. Look for ones with a separate pin / ball. 

D values

The "D" value is a rating measured in kN which reflects the dynamic loading limits between a towing vehicle and a trailer. (Wikipedia)

The "D" value of a Towing Jaw determines the gross weight combination of the towing vehicle and the trailer that can be used with that particular jaw.

The "D" value is calculated as follows: D = 9.81 × (T × C) ÷ (T + C) 
T = Towing Vehicle Weight - GVW 
C = Trailer Weight - GVW 
9.81 = Gravity

For example, a towing vehicle of 3500kg GVW combined with a trailer of 3500kg GVW would require a towing hitch with a "D" value of:

9.81 × (3.5 × 3.5) ÷ (3.5 + 3.5) = 17.167

Historically, the maximum GVW of an LCV was 3500kg and the maximum GVW for an over-run brake system is 3500kg - hence why a "D" value of 17kN is the most common

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I just use a stumpy tow ball fitted to Clevis bar. It says 2000kg but there’s more steel involved then the Dixon Bates which is 3500kg on my landy so I’m not worried. The only problem you might find is that the drawbar on the tractor is higher than truck plus the fact that there is no suspension on a tractor so harsher on the ifor hitch and more weight transferred to rear axle of trailer.

Dont get stopped.

The amount of metal wont keep you from getting a  ticket.

• Like 1

You can get ball & pin rated to 4000kg but only people with a pre 19-01-2013 BE licence & a suitable vehicle could max them out.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

50mm Ball and Pin Towing Assembly. Towing Capacity of 4000 KG. Pin has separate R clip for added security when...

This one is sold as 3500kg but actually has a 20kn rating so 4000kg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Maypole Ball and pin towing coupling hitch 3500KG. E.U. Approved 50mm Universal ball and pin. Zinc plated...

This type only suitable for 3000kg

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

- Heavy duty dual tow hitch - Captivated quick release pin - Manufactured to a high standard - Black finish - With this tow...

This one just 1500kg & not for road use.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Combined ball and pin towing hitch (pin is mounted into towball and lifts up to allow for hook up). 150mm overall...

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 09:52, openspaceman said:

Has anyone got pictures of this sort of setup or similar 50mm ball hitch on the clevis. I know I can turn the clevis bar upside down to adjust the height and a rough measure against my shin suggests it should be about the right ride height give or take.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/08/2019 at 09:15, N1ck said:

3. Get a 3pt linkage tow hitch with 50mm ball, this is arguably the best option as towing height can be adjusted, but it is not legal on the road! 

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Can you point me to where the law says using a 50mm ball on 3 point hitch frame is illegal please.