Getting Work

AlhandNewSage

If you up that way there's 6 or so coming up in September every Saturday 14th -5th Oct Derby/Staff's way. 

WWW.STAFFSCOUNTYSHOWGROUND.CO.UK

Staffordshire County Showground is a multi purpose venue hosting a variety of events and functions all year round. With a wide range of exhibition halls, conference suites and outdoor...

There all run different across the country, but there you only have to please the judge, working you have to please the customer who is paying and hopefully recommending you at the end.... If you haven't done any you can always use it as practice

Guest Gimlet

The only time anyone from NHLS got back to me over contractor accreditation, he said I needed to do competitions. I'm afraid I'm not really interested. Round here they're generally held either at the beginning or the end of the season. At the start of the season I've got a lot of hazel to cut and haven't time. At the end I've probably just finished the best part of a mile and I've had enough, and in the middle I'm flat out. 

I enjoy going to the comps but for me they're a busman's holiday where I get to watch other people doing a bit. I treat it as a jolly, wandering round having a natter (avoiding the ever increasing numbers of dreadlocked Thomas Hardy crowd scene extra wannabes strutting about about in rustic fancy dress and sucking their little roll-ups) but I'm afraid I've never found them a business networking opportunity. 

Edited by Gimlet

In other words you have come on here expecting an easy way to the top.. there is none it’s all hard work and word of mouth by this recommendations if you are good word of mouth goes a long way if you are too lazy to do the comps or put any thing else In you get nothing.
I could of given you two very good leads absolutely fool proof that have given me more hedge laying than I want and I didn’t want any in the first place but have learnt it’s easy money in comparison to trying to fell 90ft sitka in a bog in December but whilst sucking on my role up I thought na ....F off..

Hey it's not me who's got a problem with role ups or competitions haha. 

I was talking to my business partner last night and we're thinking of entering some competitions for pairs, and then me going into traditional and him using chainsaw and all that. 

We're not lazy at all, and I don't expect an easy solve. We're working hard not just to build a business but every hedge we lay, we look at and criticise it and look at how we can be better at what we do. We apply that to every aspect, we garden and manage a wood amd take whatever work we can, but hedge laying is a priority because we love doing it, it's just frustrating that we don't have as much work as we'd like, with only two booked for this coming season so far. 

Edited by AlhandNewSage
  • Like 1

Guest Gimlet
3 hours ago, MattyF said:

In other words you have come on here expecting an easy way to the top.. there is none it’s all hard work and word of mouth by this recommendations if you are good word of mouth goes a long way if you are too lazy to do the comps or put any thing else In you get nothing.
I could of given you two very good leads absolutely fool proof that have given me more hedge laying than I want and I didn’t want any in the first place but have learnt it’s easy money in comparison to trying to fell 90ft sitka in a bog in December but whilst sucking on my role up I thought na ....F off..

I don't have a problem with competitions and l'm far from lazy. A mile of hedging a year doesn't lay itself. And it's all south of England style and I'm cutting at least half of the required stakes and binders for it myself at weekends.

I detest cliques and pseudes in equal measure, I've no time for play acting and I don't need Internet forums or competition-based initiation into national associations to find work. 

I didn't come on here to find work. I've got plenty. I posted on this thread to try and help someone else who is struggling to get started. 

Fuck off yourself and stay fucked off. You're not worth my time.