newbie.thinking about trees

hello all, 

just about to be laid off and sick of all the corporate bull ive been dealing with over many years. im an active outdoors comfortable  character with some practical skills. i grew up on a farm and have always thought about tree work. Im not overly keen on heights but can i earn decent money on the ground? 

im in central belt of scotland is there enough work about? very happy to travel for work.

whats the best way of getting started? apart from doing the courses

does anyone do any taster days where i could volunteer to help out a for a few days on the ground and see whats what?

thanks

chris

I've been on the ground for a long time. Yes you can earn a living but it's a very physical job.
I'd recommend phoning every tree surgeon and forester in a 30 mile radius and offer yourself as a volunteer for a day.
You get a taste of the job, and if you can get a day with a few different firms you get an idea about the teamwork involved.
If you're still keen after a month or two of brash dragging and log humping, then get your tickets.
Best of luck
[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

• Like 2

Id echo what rough hewn said.

Contact local firms and see if you can get some days here and there.

You have zero experience,knowledge or skills so be prepared to drag branches or do some chipping.

Get some safety boots and a forestry helmet,oregon do the basic ground helmet,ear defenders and visor for about 40 quid.

Invest in your boots dont get cheap shite cause you'll be doing a lot of walking in them,make sure theyre comfortable.

Look at forestry operations aswell if that interests you,forestry commision etc

Good luck

• Like 1