Gap in the market?

Big J

On 09/08/2019 at 13:22, openspaceman said:
On 08/08/2019 at 23:01, Big J said:

I then thought that the Berlingo is a really good van, and about the same size as a Defender 90. Three seats in the front, comfortable, well equipped and cheap. Why couldn't they build a heavy duty version of it? Same footprint (including the 440cm total length, which is 90cm shorter than a pickup), but 180bhp engine (instead of the 130bhp is has), heavier chassis, greater ground clearance and 4x4. Shouldn't cost any more than a pickup, but much more practical for the majority of us. The load space is larger than that of a pickup, the cabin space more volumous (accepting the lack of a second row of seats), the maneuverability superior on account of it's compact dimensions and it's now tricked out with bling like half the pickups on sale today seem to be.

Sounds like a project; two wheel motors on the back from a Tesla, small battery pack of about 2kWh usable, swap out the alternator with a 150V 5kW one. 100A buck converter for the 12V system with a small lead acid battery. Raspberry pi controller and then you have a hybrid with 4wd capability for a couple of miles or electric only for town. Hybrid battery charged on the overrun or under braking also gives the extra horsepower for hill climbing.

I hadn't realised when I wrote that that the Citroen DS5 diesel hybrid does just this; the 28kW electric motor drives the rear wheels and the diesel motor the front.

I was on a path maintenance task today and we were directed to park in a field, those that were 2WD needed a push out, the Dacia, freelander and my vitara were  able to get out under their own steam  but I was surprised to see the DS5 with a bit of wheelslip on front and back getting out at tickover speeds, apparently applying throttle cuts the electric drive.

Apparently the PS2 platform it uses is shared with the Berlingo which is not available as a diesel hybrid.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

I hadn't realised when I wrote that that the Citroen DS5 diesel hybrid does just this; the 28kW electric motor drives the rear wheels and the diesel motor the front.

I was on a path maintenance task today and we were directed to park in a field, those that were 2WD needed a push out, the Dacia, freelander and my vitara were  able to get out under their own steam  but I was surprised to see the DS5 with a bit of wheelslip on front and back getting out at tickover speeds, apparently applying throttle cuts the electric drive.

Apparently the PS2 platform it uses is shared with the Berlingo which is not available as a diesel hybrid.

I can't wait for widespread electricification. Individual motors on each wheel means no more differentials and no more wheel slip. 

I've just over 2 years left on the Berlingo until it's paid for. It'll be interesting to see what is available then. 

The immediate and urgent acceleration offered by electric vehicles is of huge appeal to me. I don't like getting caught behind slow drivers, but it happens all the time. I was coming down the A9 the other day between Aviemore and Perth in moderate traffic and with the average speed cameras, everyone does about 57mph according to their speedos. That's about 53mph on GPS, which is about 10mph less than I would like to do and about 13mph less than you can get away with. But getting past them in the V10 Touareg was easy and safe. Must have overtaken about 30 odd cars between Aviemore and Perth. Whilst that might seem like a performance car now (370ps, 850nm), it's distinctly average for an electric vehicle. 

The days of getting stuck behind the Sunday drivers in their Nissan Notes and Honda Jazz's are coming to an end! ?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Big J said:

I can't wait for widespread electricification. Individual motors on each wheel means no more differentials and no more wheel slip. 

I've just over 2 years left on the Berlingo until it's paid for. It'll be interesting to see what is available then. 

The immediate and urgent acceleration offered by electric vehicles is of huge appeal to me. I don't like getting caught behind slow drivers, but it happens all the time. I was coming down the A9 the other day between Aviemore and Perth in moderate traffic and with the average speed cameras, everyone does about 57mph according to their speedos. That's about 53mph on GPS, which is about 10mph less than I would like to do and about 13mph less than you can get away with. But getting past them in the V10 Touareg was easy and safe. Must have overtaken about 30 odd cars between Aviemore and Perth. Whilst that might seem like a performance car now (370ps, 850nm), it's distinctly average for an electric vehicle. 

The days of getting stuck behind the Sunday drivers in their Nissan Notes and Honda Jazz's are coming to an end! ?

Just a side note here Jonathan , I travel the M27/M3 which at the moment is restricted to 50 mph with average speed cameras dotted along the rout . I checked them with my sat nav and only the first and last camera register on my sat nav . The other ones , maybe 10 or 15 don't ping on the sat nave . I studied them and some don't have any cabling going to them . Is this a bit of a con ? 

10 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Just a side note here Jonathan , I travel the M27/M3 which at the moment is restricted to 50 mph with average speed cameras dotted along the rout . I checked them with my sat nav and only the first and last camera register on my sat nav . The other ones , maybe 10 or 15 don't ping on the sat nave . I studied them and some don't have any cabling going to them . Is this a bit of a con ? 

Quite probably, but it's not worth the risk to my licence. They made a big thing of the ASC on the A9 and they were quite controversial at the time. I was very much against them, but I see their merit to an extent. It still added 20 minutes to my journey to Aviemore though when they were installed. 

Sat nav is the key thing. All car speedos are inaccurate. Use a sat nav and you know what your speed is and can adjust accordingly. On a road like the A9 (with high traffic volume), I feel that you're morally obligated to travel at the speed limit to ensure smooth traffic flow. Especially in ideal weather conditions. It's a very long and boring road if you're doing 50mph! 

8 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

This speed thing is sounding very German, you know.

Average speed cameras on the A14 between us and Cambridge reduced jams and reduced accidents as people used to brake hard at the old cameras.

I know, but I had 590 miles to drive and the 15 minutes I saved on the stretch from Aviemore to Perth (by driving at the limit, as opposed to 9-10 miles an hour under it) makes quite a difference.

I do agree that the ASC have improved safety but I just wish people didn't drive so slowly (or inconsistently - cruise control is on most vehicles now). Most of the A9 is still single carriageway but the lanes are incredibly wide and you've often at least 1/2 mile of visibility infront of you. It's a lovely and easy road to drive.

11 hours ago, Stubby said:

I need to have more of a look at them when I pootle down there next. I thought I'd seen the cabling certainly on the westbound. I did pop to Gosport with a colleague who struggled with the average part of the speed cameras, speeding up between and slowing for each camera. I'm curious but don't want to actually ask if he got a ticket.

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

What about a home made/diy/heavily modified vehicle?
For 20k you could get a ridiculous vehicle made.
Defender chassis,
Cummins engine
Up rated everything,
Ranger body for comfort,
Forestry/hort registered...
emoji848.png