Gap in the market?

Big J

Sorry "J", but as a lifelong NI resident, who only once visited Cornwall on hols, and in a reasonably sized Ford Galaxy, I had no issue with the narrow lanes, roads or village streets, and these features are EXACTLY what makes Cornwall attractive to tourists.

Now the plethora of ever changing speed limits on roads unfamiliar to me, did do my nut in.

mth

That hasn't been my experience of Sweden (not to cast aspertions as regards yours). My brother in law lives in Lidköping, about 2 hours north of Gothenburg and it's very nice around there. Lovely countryside, nice houses, friendly people who seems to be happy. 

I'm happy to be down here in Devon, but just because I'm fairly content and an incomer shouldn't mean that I am prohibited from pointing out what is an obvious flaw in the transport network. I don't buy the charm argument. There is nothing charming about driving down a narrow lane with 10ft high green walls on both sides, never with more than a 50-100m line of sight, constantly having to hover over the brake pedal ready to do an emergency stop. Or having the passenger side of your car scratched to hell as you have to bury the vehicle in the hedge to allow another car to pass. It is logically flawed and no argument about charm, character, history or heritage can override that.

Better driving conditions than Yorkshire then.
With your lovely soft hedges...
We've got stone walls, V bends, and more nutter drivers than central London.
Having to do a five point turn in the middle of a junction just to turn left.
And I've only got a Lwb transit tipper.
[emoji12][emoji106]
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

I wouldn’t say I’m protective of farmland as such (unless it’s going to be developed for housing) if someone wants to plant a load of trees on it then crack on, or a lake or any other change of use within reason. I agree that there is something wrong that farmers are reliant on grants too,

??

11 hours ago, Big J said:

If you want to point fingers, square them up on the planners, who seem to think that allowing Class Q conversions of barns for rich yuppies who can afford to pay £250k for a ramshackle barn to convert into a swanky pad in the country, whilst making it genuinely hard for working people in rural industry to build their own places........as you say, that's another thread! 

Tourism would benefit hugely from improved transport connections. Devon and Cornwall could seamlessly absorb many more people with better infrastructure and the net effect would be that they were less noticed, as traffic jams would be fewer.

How did your planning situation pan out J? Have I missed any updates - what was that thread titled?

The issue of increased seasonal visitors is rather more complex than just the roads.  Isay “just” the roads but your concept of road upgrades is impractical and prohibitively expensive on many levels and even then it fails to recognise that it’s not “just” the roads. There is 1 hospital in Cornwall. The seasonal swell almost invariably results in Black alert status each summer  so now it’s roads AND hospitals... Cost benefit analysis?

10 hours ago, Matthew Storrs said:

Interesting point regarding Scandinavia; My wife is Swedish, her father lives in an area 4hrs from Stockholm- not much going on in fairness- it’s beautiful landscape for sure and perfect roads, . 

Living down here often is a lifestyle choice/way of life , you either accept and embrace it, some people don’t get on with it at all and rightly so move to another area which better serves their needs. 

Used to visit Umea really often. Swedish girlfriend back in the day. Loved it there. 

9 hours ago, AHPP said:

Agricultural and forestry vehicles could pinball down the lanes with their eyes shut without fear of meeting anyone.

They already do! 

J - an incomer shouldn't mean that I am prohibited from pointing out what is an obvious flaw in the transport network. 

It doesn't mean you “can’t” J, but it does mean nobody will take a blind bit of notice ???

25 minutes ago, difflock said:

Sorry "J", but as a lifelong NI resident, who only once visited Cornwall on hols, and in a reasonably sized Ford Galaxy, I had no issue with the narrow lanes, roads or village streets, and these features are EXACTLY what makes Cornwall attractive to tourists.

Now the plethora of ever changing speed limits on roads unfamiliar to me, did do my nut in.

mth

The road signs are only there for the visitors Marcus (a bit like rural NI), such trivia as road worthiness, speed restrictions, insurance, RFL etc are blithely ignored by the inherently aloof indigenous population. 

Was going to mention, I wonder if it was a seasonal visitor or an aloof indigenous that almost killed us on a rare stretch of dual carriageway last night? I’ll see if dashcam got it later but finding a set of headlights facing you in  lane 2 of dual carriageway at an awkward junction raised the blood pressure a couple of notches!

14 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

??

How did your planning situation pan out J? Have I missed any updates - what was that thread titled?

The issue of increased seasonal visitors is rather more complex than just the roads.  Isay “just” the roads but your concept of road upgrades is impractical and prohibitively expensive on many levels and even then it fails to recognise that it’s not “just” the roads. There is 1 hospital in Cornwall. The seasonal swell almost invariably results in Black alert status each summer  so now it’s roads AND hospitals... Cost benefit analysis?

Used to visit Umea really often. Swedish girlfriend back in the day. Loved it there. 

They already do! 

J - an incomer shouldn't mean that I am prohibited from pointing out what is an obvious flaw in the transport network. 

It doesn't mean you “can’t” J, but it does mean nobody will take a blind bit of notice ???

The road signs are only there for the visitors Marcus (a bit like rural NI), such trivia as road worthiness, speed restrictions, insurance, RFL etc are blithely ignored by the inherently aloof indigenous population. 

What an angry looking guy! ??. He was going way too fast, especially with faulty trailer brakes ?

15 hours ago, aspenarb said:

Just to recap J, you are looking for a 300hp 4x4 that`s two feet wide that can hit 100mph around country lanes on 25% inclines while legally towing a fully laden 3.5 ton  trailer, accommodate a Yeti in comfort and have radar so it can detect oncoming vehicles around these lanes and still achieve 30mpg. You are right, there is a gap in the market for a vehicle like that :)

Bob

Where can I order one please? 

Needs to be double cab though, with four full size seats, an 8ft load bed and no longer than a 110???

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Just last night! A rare trip to Plymuff to have my wallet emptied by the wife and pup in a restaurant where the food was at best mediocre.

Dangerous crossing the river!  

PS - I muted the sound to save Mrs J's blushes - the language was a bit rare!

J

Bloody tourists! ?. That could have been nasty.

• Like 1