Gap in the market?

Big J

It's all do able. We tree spade out trees. We built a milling machine ( basically ) to carve out the C Tunnel. You could do same there. Spade out hedge lines as you go , then replace -plane out narrow lanes and use a digital sensor network laid in to guide traffic without significantly altering the overall aspect of the countryside. Use a traffic algorithm to decide which roads need widening and tunnels where flow is unpredictable or heavy. It's done in Norway- just they seem to have more cash...... k

2 minutes ago, Khriss said:

It's all do able. We tree spade out trees. We built a milling machine ( basically ) to carve out the C Tunnel. You could do same there. Spade out hedge lines as you go , then replace -plane out narrow lanes and use a digital sensor network laid in to guide traffic without significantly altering the overall aspect of the countryside. Use a traffic algorithm to decide which roads need widening and tunnels where flow is unpredictable or heavy. It's done in Norway- just they seem to have more cash...... k

Khriss I dont think you can tree spade a Devon hedgerow as this is what we have around here but with more trees on the top. 

300px-Stone_Faced_Hedge_Beaford.jpg

Yea- I might not have been clear. You identify roads where it benefits. Based on cost/disruption/eco-sensitivity and net traffic gain. You also enhance bio diversity whilst operating ( bat box install for example) picking that example above, you would probably work around it. K

Edited by Khriss
It's why we invented computers

2 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

These roads are too NARROW!!!

These roads must be STRAIGHTER!

WE MUST IMPROVE EFFICIENCY!!!

There is empty land where we can house more people!

We must build on it everywhere!

Massive areas of this county are totally empty!

This is such a beautiful part of the country...

That's a fairly simplistic way of mocking my point of view.

Devon has low population density but the landscape is entirely managed, mainly for farming. Its not a natural, utopian wilderness. 

The dreadful road network can be regarded as a directly contributing factor in the fact that west Devon and Cornwall is regarded as an economically deprived area. Wages are suppressed, living standards lower and poverty more prevalent.

I see nothing wrong with wanting to aspire to a system where there isn't needless wastage and inefficiency. The benefits are multifaceted and far reaching. The improvement of infrastructure for those that use it daily does not have to be at the expense of those that use it infrequently and want to maintain that nostalgic charm that they so appreciate when they come here once a year on their holidays....

Devon and Cornwall are very popular visitor places ( like France ) and the increase in tourist spend would more than ofsets cost year on year. It's no wonder the DDay sites in Normandy are having newer n bigger visitors centers and museums built. Not just cos the French love heroes, it's cos the cash that is brought in,  is a serious contributor to otherwise pretty poor rural areas. K

• Like 3

It's a balance thing.
Yes a decent infrastructure is needed.
(I grew up and went to school on the edge of Dartmoor).
However, having witnessed the car crash mentality of humans towards large cash rich development.
Look at the a30 bypass round Oakhampton.
Destroyed vast tracts of sssi and national park.
Went massively over budget.
And when it was finished, all the local businesses went tits up because all the tourists bypassed the town.
I sympathise greatly with your dilemma J.
There is no easy answer.
Next time you're sitting somewhere stuck, take a moment to remember you're not on the m25/central London/some other shothole.
Devon and Dartmoor are absolutely fantastic places to live and raise kids.
Shot roads are the price you pay.
I'm seriously thinking of moving back.
[emoji106]

• Like 8

If you look at the shitting shed loads of cash wasted on London here, that scheme is easily accomplished over a twenty year span, now that geo-engineering is a science compared to 1970s, with habitat enhancement and possibly greater educational increases possible we may be able to finally breed out the six-toe from our gene pool. K

• Like 1

If there was to be infrastructure improvements the first thing to do would be fix the railway line at Dawlish once and for all. In bad winters the SW is often cut off from the main rail network. The reality is there is no money to fix potholes let alone sort out our railways and expand our roads.

Most who dont like how things are down here either adapt or move. Seen it so many times with folks from up the line expecting some rural utopia but with central UK like services. I think the two are diametrically opposed. If you bring in more people and industry it would not be the rural idyll it is. 

• Like 3

If there was to be infrastructure improvements the first thing to do would be fix the railway line at Dawlish once and for all. In bad winters the SW is often cut off from the main rail network. The reality is there is no money to fix potholes let alone sort out our railways and expand our roads.

Most who dont like how things are down here either adapt or move. Seen it so many times with folks from up the line expecting some rural utopia but with central UK like services. I think the two are diametrically opposed. If you bring in more people and industry it would not be the rural idyll it is. 

There was masses of railways and stations across Devon.
Would cost a fortune to reinstate, but what an effect it could have...
Steam engines would be nice...
Wood fired obviously.
[emoji12][emoji106]
  • Like 2

Value is subjective. I want Devon to visit (preferably on two wheels) so twee lanes preferable. Jonathan wants Devon to work so bigger roads preferable. Any debate about the rights and wrongs of public spending on public things can be made moot by getting rid of public roads and letting the market decide what type of private roads exist. Probably both. Markets usually keep most people happy.

• Like 2